Ford Mustang Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
I am sorry I didn't know the Superchargers were supposed to whine!! That makes sense that only the GT500's sounded like that.....good to know! I am very new to the Mustangs and haven't kept up on everything about them!! I have wanted one forever and completely happy I waited and got the 5.0. Next time I go I will be paying more attention to timing as well. I wanted to go and see them race and it was too much fun!

Automatic boy.....sorry, but that is just uncool in a sports car!! I will say that till I am blue in the face, so not cool in a sports car!! I get it a lot to when they see a woman driving a Mustang ohhhh...you got the automatic. No **** mines manual!!! And then they are all ohhh...that's HOT...no kidding :hihi:
LOL...i like you already Jaime.Welcome to the wonderful KICK ASS FUN world of Mustang ownership! Nothin like a manny tranny I agree! I don't knock the auto's ,I just prefer the fun of choosing my gear,especially on a nice sunny,twisty,curvy strip of pavement!!:winks

flat shifting > autos until under 10 seconds....

LOL...i like you already Jaime.Welcome to the wonderful KICK ASS FUN world of Mustang ownership! Nothin like a manny tranny I agree! I don't knock the auto's ,I just prefer the fun of choosing my gear,especially on a nice sunny,twisty,curvy strip of pavement!!:winks
i hear ya'll, has to be stick.

MT82 for me. Fun to drive w3.73's... Good all around. Twisties or straights. Mustang was made for MT82:bigthumbsup Great job Ford! Can't wait to see what pop's up in 2014.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
If your going to drive a sports car learn to drive a stick boys....I don't care blagh blagh blagh sports cars should be MT only!! I feel once they get passed the V6 they should all be MT no excuse. It is just flat out Unamerican to drive an automatic sports car! There I said it!

Maybe its because us girls know how to use the stick better......much practise!!

If your going to drive a sports car learn to drive a stick boys....I don't care blagh blagh blagh sports cars should be MT only!! I feel once they get passed the V6 they should all be MT no excuse. It is just flat out Unamerican to drive an automatic sports car! There I said it!

Maybe its because us girls know how to use the stick better......much practise!!
I guess Fernando Alonso is a terrible driver, since his F1 is an automatic.

You should go and tell the engineers of the following car models that all sports cars should be MT only:

Bugatti Veyron
GT-R
Ferrari 458
Lamborghini Aventador
Lexus LF-A
BMW M3
Porsche 911, Cayman, Boxter
Meserati Quattroporte

I can keep going...All the cars listed above are multiple levels above what a sports car should be. If I was given a choice between a great performing automatic or a great performing manual, I'd go for the automatic every time. I got a MT in my 5.0 because a "good" automatic was not available, but if they offered anything that is based on any SMG/DSG transmission, you bet I would have gotten it. If you buy a sports car, and you actually track it (not drag race), you would want the best performing transmission possible, and all the newest dual clutch stuff that is out there does just that. Seamless shifts with no discernible power loss in under 1/100th of a second, each and every time, and even mid corner without unsettling the suspension. How many people that track their cars can execute a proper shift like that with a manual transmission while still maintaining a racing line? I'd guess not many. Sports cars have always been about performance and about raising the bar, and the new age automatics do just that.

My 2 cents, even though nobody asked for them :)

I can drive a standard... I could drive one at about the age of six or seven.. Before I could see over the dash.. I drive my standard trans FORD f 150 4x4( there is a awesome vehicle to be standard trans) to work 6 days a week.Still running on the original clutch and brakes.

. I love this auto.. By all means Fords greatest auto I have every driven.. People who own and drive it, know what I am talking about... I can't wait to see what a tune does for it..

BTW.. This is my wife's car.. I promised she could have one.. She hated her last standard trans sports car(Fire Chicken I think)...
After a while... Driving a standard sucks...I love my truck, but shifting it on long city trips or in traffic gets old.. .. We take her car everywhere...

Here is a tidbit...My dealer had a mustang in the shop.. Running on it's 3rd clutch.. The owner has also spun a bearing on the engine... Been racing it for a fact..

to me AUTOMATICS and FLOWMASTERS are in the same category... I DONT LIKE EITHER. i would rather replace a clutch than have a auto tranny rebuilt.

my .02 also..

I guess Fernando Alonso is a terrible driver, since his F1 is an automatic.

You should go and tell the engineers of the following car models that all sports cars should be MT only:

Bugatti Veyron
GT-R
Ferrari 458
Lamborghini Aventador
Lexus LF-A
BMW M3
Porsche 911, Cayman, Boxter
Meserati Quattroporte

I can keep going...All the cars listed above are multiple levels above what a sports car should be. If I was given a choice between a great performing automatic or a great performing manual, I'd go for the automatic every time. I got a MT in my 5.0 because a "good" automatic was not available, but if they offered anything that is based on any SMG/DSG transmission, you bet I would have gotten it. If you buy a sports car, and you actually track it (not drag race), you would want the best performing transmission possible, and all the newest dual clutch stuff that is out there does just that. Seamless shifts with no discernible power loss in under 1/100th of a second, each and every time, and even mid corner without unsettling the suspension. How many people that track their cars can execute a proper shift like that with a manual transmission while still maintaining a racing line? I'd guess not many. Sports cars have always been about performance and about raising the bar, and the new age automatics do just that.

My 2 cents, even though nobody asked for them :)
Someone else likes to watch Top Gear... :bigthumbsup

Couple of things: First Jamie 5.0 is cool. Second , You know what I hate worse than a Camaro? A Camaro with an automatic.

Really funny how folks with manual transmissions feel like they are somehow superior drivers that those with automatics! I have been driving manual transmission cars and motorcycles since I was 13 (a long, long time ago) and I am sure 90% of the auto owners could figure out how to use a stick shift in a couple of hours. This is such a smooth shifting auto that I actually prefer this transmission to the ones in my Mercedes cars. It also is a blast on the track!!!
Enjoy your car...I hope you continue to get a lot of joy driving it...don't assume that others somehow get less pleasure becuase their car has a different tranny than yours:wavey

Probably not, because Clarkson and his crew always complain about a lack of true manual-transmission cars. They, like most enthusiasts, hate "flappy paddles". Summed up brilliantly when Clarkson is driving the ZR1, raving about zero computer intervention and a true six-speed manual, which prompts him to say "ARE YOU LISTENING FERRARI?"

No one would argue that a manual is "better" on objective terms. Clearly it's subjective, and it's widely known that the newest generation dual-clutch automatics are faster than manual transmissions in every possible way. Track or strip, you just can't launch or shift better than a computer with supporting technology.

But that ain't the point. By most enthusiast standards, the manu-matics are still disliked, because they are less involving. It's less personal. Perfectly subjective, but still widely felt.

Drive what you love, automatic or manual. But anyone making their purchase decision based on numbers alone is missing the boat, completely.

Auto thank God

I have been waiting for the 5.0 to return, my first was a 1987 white vert with a manual. I loved that car, then in 90 I was hit in Iraq and the knee cant hold the clutch in traffic. But know the 5.0 is back and the Auto is really nice with the Brenspeed tune this shifts so fast and I have my 5.0 again. The point we all have different reasons for what we have and they all are good, enjoy your car. seal9:bounce2:

I don't begrudge anyone the choice of an auto in their car, especially if it's based on physical constraints. Having both cars, a stick is more fun, it's that simple.
When people start harping about FASTER TIMES and how us stick drivers think we are SUPERIOR drivers I actually laugh.

ignorance is bliss. why do we care what her opinion of automatic equipped cars is? the mustang isnt a sports car yet she repeatedly calls it that. while Automatics are not as much fun to drive as manual trans cars they do tend to break fewer parts and are far more consistent when racing. I like both, my 20120 camaro SS was a 6 speed manual and my 2011 Mustang GT is an Auto. my 2012 challenger will be a manual.

Lol at this thread :gringreen

Probably not, because Clarkson and his crew always complain about a lack of true manual-transmission cars. They, like most enthusiasts, hate "flappy paddles". Summed up brilliantly when Clarkson is driving the ZR1, raving about zero computer intervention and a true six-speed manual, which prompts him to say "ARE YOU LISTENING FERRARI?"

No one would argue that a manual is "better" on objective terms. Clearly it's subjective, and it's widely known that the newest generation dual-clutch automatics are faster than manual transmissions in every possible way. Track or strip, you just can't launch or shift better than a computer with supporting technology.

But that ain't the point. By most enthusiast standards, the manu-matics are still disliked, because they are less involving. It's less personal. Perfectly subjective, but still widely felt.

Drive what you love, automatic or manual. But anyone making their purchase decision based on numbers alone is missing the boat, completely.

Forgot about that actually.. The only flappy paddle I think clarkson like was the Zonda R..and who wouldn't?

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw..:grinroll:

:bigthumbsup indeed I do lol but I have also owned 2 cars with DSG (2007 GLI and 2008 R32) and I know first hand how incredible those transmissions are. The down side to them is, once you drive one, it is very hard to drive a conventional automatic. It raises your expectations to an unrealistic level.

I saw 2 GT500's racing each other and they both had a serious whine about them when they were in lower gears, that sounded like CRAP! I so hope that doesn't happen to my 5.0!! _____________
:evilchuck

Sure wish mine had that sound... Superchargers are awesome.. My buddies procharger sounds ruthless.. Told him it didn't need that procharger sticker.. Folks can tell it's blown from a block away..

SOOOO many mustangs. Can I say I was kinda disappointed because the mustangs were pulling 112-114 in the quarter mile. I wasn't looking at times and I should have been but still. I was kinda disappointed. This was GT's, GT500's and 5.0's all doing about the same. They were smoking Camero's and Challengers but still.

I saw 2 GT500's racing each other and they both had a serious whine about them when they were in lower gears, that sounded like CRAP! I so hope that doesn't happen to my 5.0!!
114 miles per hour in the quarter mile in a Mustang? That's pathetic! Those guys should be ashamed of themselves! And that crappy whining noise coming from those GT500 superchargers are so annoying. I hope your car never sounds like that. If it ever does, I would take it in to a mechanic right away.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.