Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation: I'm doing the I6 to V8 upgrade on a '65 I've owned for 25 years and I need to know a few things about the suspension and steering. The engine and transmission have been in for a while. I've finally removed the old wimpy spindles and replaced them with some beefy '69 spindles I found on E-bay. I know the tie rods and ball joints are going to have to be changed and I assumed that I would just buy the '69 parts. I also know the drag link, idler arm, pitman arm and all that stuff are going to have to be changed. Now my question is: will '65 steering and suspension parts for a V8 mate up to my '69 spindles or do I need '69 parts and if that's the case, will they bolt into the '65 without a lot of fabrication?
I already have a plan for the coil spring and disc brake upgrade so that's squared away, I just have a need for suspension and steering component information from someone who has perhaps done a swap like this. Thanks in advance for the help I am sure I'll receive from this group which seems to be a wealth of information.

A

·
0 Posts
I don't think you'll have to replace all of those parts, just a few(if I recollect correctly). The 69 spindles are gonna make things a bit different for you though, you probably should got 65 V8 spindles. But I think we can work somethin out for ya. Get more than one opinion on this, because I've never advised someone with 69 spindles on a 65, but it seems to me you'll want to buy all 1965 suspension parts. The only 69 parts you're going to want to buy are the tie tods and that should be it. Because if you buy anything else 69, I don't think bolt holes will match up and all of that(different sizes, different locations, etc.).

Everything should work fine for you though, it's just a matter of finding what parts you need. I feel pretty confident in my advice, but like I said, get a couple other opinions. ALSO, as far as what you actually need to replace, here is a helpful website that will tell you what all will need replaced and what all is the same: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3573/Special.html

Also, make sure any brake parts you order for the front are for a 69.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.