Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used Dynomax Blackjack headers for their Mustang?
I noticed on Summit that the part has a 1.5 inch primary tube diameter. While the price is ideal, I wanted to know if this would hinder performance on the upper RPMs. I understand the part is a long tube exhaust manifold, but the diameter of the primary tubes seems quite small. I would expect great torque figures.

Has anyone tried this product?
Comparing this product to one of the more famous companies such as BBK or MAC who carry 1 5/8 as the smallest diameter for their long tube products, which would yield the best OVERALL performance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Never heard much on these blackjack headers before, however, my BBK longtubes have 1 5/8" tube diameter for each exhaust port. You can go up to a 1 3/4" but it's not really recommended unless you're already making serious HP and have a set of aftermarket heads. Otherwise with a fairly stock setup you'll loose quite a bit of low end torque. Even with my 1 5/8" tubes I found my car a little easier to stall starting off, but it does breathe alot better in the mid to upper rpm ranges.

Hope this helps! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The 1 1/2 inch primary is for a stock engine and gets restrictive in the upper rpm range. Going with that isn't the best choice. The best overall size to go with until you get into serious modifications would be 1 5/8 diameter. That'll give you good streetable torque while giving upper rpm power. 1 3/4 would give decent torque but really enhance upper rpm power.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
1.5" primary tube diameter is good for pretty much anything that has stock heads on it, unless you have boost or nitrous. Then you'll want to use the 1 5/8 headers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then it would be pointless, since I am swapping my stock cylinder heads for a pair of AFR 165s. I was attempting to gather information on other exhaust manifold rather than simply purchase the BBK Long Tube. I am particularly fond of the Hedman Hedders 88398. Not only are the headers 14 gauge, but they have thermal coating. The price is significantly less than the BBK. Even the Flowtech 32104FLT is priced beautifully with nearly the same conditions as the BBK.

Thanks for the input as always. If anyone else has a story to share with long tube headers ASIDE from BBK or MAC please post.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
just make sure you have a well planned exhaust SYSTEM - 1.5", 1625" or 1.75" makes no difference if your running 2.25" pipe with clogged cats from the header back.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You're the first person I've seen mention the gauge of the tubing. Keep doing that, because so many buy the cheap, thin wall headers then wonder why they burnout in a year and have to have the holes welded. The thinnest I'd go with would be 16 gauge, 14 would be best.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eagle- When considering to purchase a pair of long tube headers, I calculated all the factors that would affect the longevity and my pocket. However, the better companies (JBA, Kook, Hooker) have quality performing long tube headers, but the collector sizes are all 3 inches. The cheaper companies such as Flo-Tech, MAC, and BBK carry 2.5 inch collectors, but the quality on the latter two are embarrassing after time, as for BBK - I would still need to shell some cash to purchase better coating.

Tmoss- I was previously using Pypes off road X pipe connected to their cat back system; the car was purchased that way. I plan to have a BBK off road H pipe connected to Flowmasters.

If I was to use reducers at the collector, does that hinder the performance of the exhaust manifold? Do collectors actually encompass the entire collector piece or just a few inches from the flange?

Anyone else has any suggestions on OTS products?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.