Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
I hope someone here can help me. I just recently purchased a 97 mustang gt. The only issue it has is it does not like to idle in park. Its not throwing any engine codes so I have no idea what could be causing it to do it. I have a sct flash tuner but I'm not too sure how to use it. So if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing my problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey man. Congrats on the purchase. Sound's like to me you might need to adjust the t.p.s. . I'd also clean the throttle body, i.a.c., and maf.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I recently had a bad idle with my 96 GT. It would idle at about 2000 RPMs so I looked for vacuum leaks and could not find anything. So I decided to clean my throttle body and it worked. My car now idles at like 700 RPMs; give it a try it would not hurt to try. :yup:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
How to trouble shoot IAC idle problems

Please don't adjust the TPS. The TPS is used differently on the 96-04 MY's than in older MY's. The initial TPS possition is re-learned on every startup. So it doesn't make any difference what the TPS value is as long as it is the same at closed throttle.

The post does not state what is wrong with the idle (fast, slow, uneven).

Most idle problems are the result of vacuum leaks. Followed closely by bad IAC's. With incorrectly adjusted throttle body idle set screws in 3rd place. Low Freon in the AC is a cause that it not obvious.

Please review the following for trouble shooting IAC and ldle problems.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I put it in park or neutral it dies. Idles fine if its in gear. Also if I try to go straight to full throttle it kinda cuts out then picks right up and takes off. I know that a lot of mustangs develope idle issues. But this is my first stang so I'm completely new to mustangs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I put it in park or neutral it dies. Idles fine if its in gear. Also if I try to go straight to full throttle it kinda cuts out then picks right up and takes off. I know that a lot of mustangs develope idle issues. But this is my first stang so I'm completely new to mustangs. Any help is appreciated.
Did You find the problem with your Mustang? My 96 is doing the same thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts