Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 GT Conv with now 46k on her. The idle seems to be all over the place. By this I mean sometimes it idles just fine, other times as high as 1200 rpm's. I have replaced the plugs and wires, coil, and put a cold air kit on her over the winter. The cair was stock before that. Oh execpt a Flowmaster exhaust including tailpipes.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks now its just trying to find the time. There was a spacer for lack of better words with 2 allen screws on the bottom. this piece was on the idle control thing. I took it off and it seemed better. I know my disc sucks but I have never seen one before. The part # on the spacer is F2PE-9F942-AA. Any ideas?

Tim

·
Registered
27 Posts
About the spacer, looks like it is Idle Air Control Adjuster. It is used on modified engines to adjust the idle RPMs. Anyway, if your IAC does not work correctly, the adjuster will not help your engine to idle better.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tim,

Assuming you have no codes/unmetered air etc. Try cleaning the throttle body and performing a relearn. I've found the easiest thing to do is (1) clean the throttle body. This will ensure that the throttle plate is closing properly and allowing the throttle position sensor to return to it's proper position. (2) warm the engine to operating temperature. (3) Turn the engine off and disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. (4) Reconnect the battery and start the engine. Allow it to run for a few minutes. If it's an automatic place the trans in gear and allow it to idle another minute or two. If this doesn't work you may have a faulty IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. I've never had luck cleaning them. If you find it is the IAC be sure to get the right one.

All of this is assuming you haven't already started turning screws.

Heh Heh, just saw the date but i'll leave this response anyway :)

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts