Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just installed a cold air kit in my 2002 mustang gt,. Since, everytime i start my car the idle goes crazy, im assuming the computer is trying to adjust to the new air flow,, after a minuter or so it seems to be ok and i can drive, do i need to have my computer updated? any suggestions would be great
Thanks
JimmyBoy.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, at least 15. Also check and make sure the two smaller black rubber hoses are sealing tightly around the nipples on the CAI tube. I had a problem with one of them slipping off on mine so I just hose clamped them both on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, now that you say that, on that same tube is a third hole, with a rubber piece in it. dont know what goes there, but its a hole as big as a pencil

·
Registered
145 Posts
Your IAT sensor goes there!!! I was puzzled at first but then i rememberd that the little sensor with the wire in the middle sticks in there. (Intake air temperature sensor). Make sure you put that back in!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The most likely cause is the computer hasn't adjusted to the new air flow yet. Reset the computer. Pull the battery cable for 15 min. Restart and let idle for 5 min. Turn on AC and let idle for 10 min. Drive normally for 10 miles (it may take more).

Your temp sensor is built into the MAF so the extra hole should be plugged.

There should be or was a screen just ahead of the MAF. The purpose of the screen is to staighten out the air flow before it gets to the MAF. If you left the screen out when you reassembled things to get max air flow, it could cause a rough idle.

Sometimes if you're going to a fenderwell type CAI, the sharp turn just before the MAF can also cause turbulance and drivability problems. The cure is to make sure the screen is in there. Sometimes rotating the MAF slightly will help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i didnt put the screen back in,,,didnt seem like it would seal good, also, not sure where my IAT sensor is,,,it wasnt on the old air tube.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
the IAT is built in to the MAF on our cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i actually noticed one of the hoses fell off,,,so i clamped it down and covered the whole with some duct tape and everything seems to be fine now.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
JimmyBoy said:
i actually noticed one of the hoses fell off,,,so i clamped it down and covered the whole with some duct tape and everything seems to be fine now.
-- uh, duct tape?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, for now,,,i need to find something else to plug the hole with

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
A better way to cover that hole would be to cut a rubber patch out of some fuel line and stretch it across the hole and use a hose clamp around the whole tube to hold it in place. Heat from the engine is going to work that adhesive loose very soon and you run a risk of shooting a piece of duct tape through your engine. If you're lucky it will go completely through.

·
Registered
14 Posts
JimmyBoy said:
Hi all, I just installed a cold air kit in my 2002 mustang gt,. Since, everytime i start my car the idle goes crazy, im assuming the computer is trying to adjust to the new air flow,, after a minuter or so it seems to be ok and i can drive, do i need to have my computer updated? any suggestions would be great
Thanks
JimmyBoy.
if you re-set the computer while installing the CAI, then what you are discribing is the computer's attempt to learn its new parameters. Thsi is a process that happens everytime you re-set the computer. The best thing to do is to let the car run for 10 minutes w/o driving or reving the engine.

Every time the cars starts you are running in open-loop, which spike the rpms past 1000. The computer will kick down after initial warm-up.

Like suggested above, make sure all vac lines, and hoses are connected. If the problem persists, them the IAC might be on its was out.

G

·
What brand of CAI did u get? My instructions for the FIPK said to remove the screen which i did and it ran fine even before the tune. I believe when MANA4REAL was n/a he had the fipk and removed the screen as well.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah I pulled mine and trashed it also. The screen is useless and worthless. It is not going to be very effective at anything honestly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
Yeah I pulled mine and trashed it also. The screen is useless and worthless. It is not going to be very effective at anything honestly.
If it was useless and worthless do you really think Ford would spend the money to put in there in the first place...... I don't think so.

It's there for a reason..... But, alot of people have removed it (including me) without having any problems. However, if you remove it and then have idle and drivability problems try putting it back in to see what happens. It may cure your ills.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
That's a valid point, but they also put a silncer on the IAC which has a pretty low air flow and won't generate much noise at all. My knowledge and experience of fluid flow just makes me wonder if that tiny screen is going to do anything at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.