Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather in my neck of the woods is going to be about a perfect 72° this week, so of course the convertible is acting up. Forgive me if this sounds painfully familiar, but "the car surges and tries to die at the idle position when slowing down or stopped."

Admittedly, I am a TERRIBLE mechanic, but I am dead set on never having a car payment again so I guess I have to get better. That's where you guys come in.

Yesterday, after doing the parts store's job and figuring out which of the two available parts I needed (gotta love CA emissions), I installed a new throttle position sensor to correct the problem. I bought a new multimeter along with it and adjusted the position of the TPS so that the voltage at the green wire, with the key on / car off measured .983 V. The problem seemed a bit better, but still not corrected. We needed the car for one of us to get to work (my girlfriend usually drives it because the brand new top wouldn't last a day in the neighborhood I work in), so I just turned in the idle screw enough that she wouldn't have to power brake at stop lights to keep it running.

Now I'm guessing this next part is unrelated, but thought I should include it anyway: she drove it to work (about 12 mi away) and when she returned to the car just a few minutes later to run an errand, it would not turn over but seemed to have plenty of battery power. Tried a jump box with the same results. Of course, when I got off work and went to check it out, it fired right up just to embarrass her :heha:. I'm thinking the starter may have just gotten hung up, so there is now a very large pair of channel locks in the trunk.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Headed out to the shop now to try the idle reset procedure I found on another post.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
May be starter but also could be ground on engine.Next time it will not turn over connect battery cable from battery negative to a good ground on engine.Bolt head,bracket,etc.Try multiple points .If it turns over, then it is the ground cable to engine at fault.This could cause other problems also.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hockeyman. I haven't had any more issues with the starter. Got the other problem tracked down to either the TFI or EGR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts