Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 tends to idle just under the 1 as I am sitting at the bank with my e-brake on and the needle jumps every once in a while.... is this normal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2014 tends to idle just under the 1 as I am sitting at the bank with my e-brake on and the needle jumps every once in a while.... is this normal?
How long have the spark plugs been in there? have you done any modifications?

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
It should idle about 750 RPM, a burp every now and then is normal.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Are you idling with the A/C on? It’s probably raising when the a/c is cycling.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you idling with the A/C on? It’s probably raising when the a/c is cycling.
Yes the A/C was on and yes it did jump during cycling, but it continued to jump after that..... no engine light on at the moment so not sure of any codes

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have the spark plugs been in there? have you done any modifications?
I bought the car used at a dealership... they were not forthcoming with service records, so I do not know if they have been changed or not.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Yes the A/C was on and yes it did jump during cycling, but it continued to jump after that..... no engine light on at the moment so not sure of any codes
What does it with the A/C off? Sometimes there can be codes with no light. That’s how it was in the olden days anyway. But it sounds like it’s operating normal unless we’re talking a big idle surge. Big fluctuation up and down and wanting to stall.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
What does it do with the A/C off? Sounds normal to me. Sometimes you can still get codes with no light on. That’s how it was in the olden days at least. But I don’t think you have an issue.
The idle will raise with the a/c too keep the motor from bogging down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does it do with the A/C off? Sounds normal to me. Sometimes you can still get codes with no light on. That’s how it was in the olden days at least. But I don’t think you have an issue.
The idle will raise with the a/c too keep the motor from bogging down.
I am hoping not, but I probably will get a reader on it just in case.... To me it feels like it's idling rough, and not necessarily got to stall but close to it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting development
I go to start my car and it starts idling almost to the 2 without a/c on

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
could it possibly be a dirty Throttle body?

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
higher RPM cold start is not unusual, though 2K seems a bit high, I think mine is around 1,500 RPM cold start

this is programmed in the tune; some tuners use a high RPM cold start to help the engine warm up quicker and warm up the catalytic converters quicker

I think your car has a custom tune, if I remember correctly . . . if you have the tuner device, I think you can adjust the cold start idle yourself

Reactions: LadyGT

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
higher RPM cold start is not unusual, though 2K seems a bit high, I think mine is around 1,500 RPM cold start

this is programmed in the tune; some tuners use a high RPM cold start to help the engine warm up quicker and warm up the catalytic converters quicker

I think your car has a custom tune, if I remember correctly . . . if you have the tuner device, I think you can adjust the cold start idle yourself
Honestly, I am not sure about the tune.... if I remember the air intake that is on it doesn't require one, but then again it could be tuned for something else I don't know about. Unfortunately, if it does have one, I would not have the tuner used for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same "issue?!"
My rpm drops from time to time down to about 600rpm while standing still. like @crjackson said it feels like a burb. Car isn´t staling.

No Codes, Engine has power and no hesitation to redline.
I cleaned the throttlebody and switcht a lot of components out, that were often mentiont for bad idle, but no efekt.

Only lightly "modded": Oil catch Can, Airaid on oem box, Tune and x-pipe with Borla Mufflers.

If its realy normal (i dont understand why, but ok) there is no point of worry about the engine?

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
if the mornings are getting colder now where you are located, that could be the reason that you are noticing the high idle on cold start now, but did not notice it before . . . I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you do not have the tuner device

cleaning the throttle body might help . . . before doing that, read up on the right way to do it . . . I thought it was OK to push the blade/valve open by hand (gently) so you an clean the inside, and I have done that to my car with no obvious ill affects, but I have read some posts that say you really shouldn't do that, instead you should take off the throttle body then clean it

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if the mornings are getting colder now where you are located, that could be the reason that you are noticing the high idle on cold start now, but did not notice it before . . . I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you do not have the tuner device

cleaning the throttle body might help . . . before doing that, read up on the right way to do it . . . I thought it was OK to push the blade/valve open by hand (gently) so you an clean the inside, and I have done that to my car with no obvious ill affects, but I have read some posts that say you really shouldn't do that, instead you should take off the throttle body then clean it
mornings here are low to mid 70's in Louisiana, so not cold . Not the first time i have noticed it happening, but first time it didn't die down after start. I had to pump the brakes a couple of times to get it to drop below the 1K mark yesterday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts