Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am at a stand still. the car runs fine and doesnt have any problems really besides one. It idles at 1k rpms with the a/c on......then it drops to about 500 rpms and it feels like it wants to die, but comes back up. Sometimes ill have the idle hang at 1500 or 1800 but only for a second. Then yesterday i was in fifth gear going about 65 and pushed the clutch pedal down and the motor died??? it started right back up and hasnt happened again. Just has a wierd idle at stop lights as i described above. To try and fix this i have checked all vaccum line and they seem fine.I cleaned the IAC and that didnt help. Im thinking maybe the IAC is just complete crap and needs to be replaced.or my out of the box theory is that the BAMA tune i have is really really rich and its choking the motor for air. so it bogs down a little. I know its running rich because i can smell gas at times, almost a raw gas smell. i also have a hole in my exhaust would that cause it to idle rough(i really dont think so) i am replaceing the flowmasters next week with magnaflows. i cant think of anything else, if you guys have and recommendation on where to look or what to look for let me know please

·
Registered
189 Posts
car dying

When did this start happening? You said something about a tune, have you tried loading the stock tune back on to see how the car woudl run? I do know that I put long tube headers, high flow cats on my old 96, and the car would surge, idle rough with air on, and then if I went down a hill coasting, and push the clutch in, it would die. Then she would start right back up and again.

Have you check to see if you have any codes with your tuner? If I had to guess it would be the tune you put on their, to rich, or lean, etc. Let me know what it was, because I had similiar problems with my old cobra, but I never figured it out.

Let me know what it was, because I am curious,

RIch

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When did this start happening? You said something about a tune, have you tried loading the stock tune back on to see how the car woudl run? I do know that I put long tube headers, high flow cats on my old 96, and the car would surge, idle rough with air on, and then if I went down a hill coasting, and push the clutch in, it would die. Then she would start right back up and again.

Have you check to see if you have any codes with your tuner? If I had to guess it would be the tune you put on their, to rich, or lean, etc. Let me know what it was, because I had similiar problems with my old cobra, but I never figured it out.

Let me know what it was, because I am curious,

RIch
see it just recently started. so thats why i dont think its the tune, but it is still a possibilty. Last time it did this it was a vaccum line. I also have a o/r h pipe but no long tubes. Im thinking it might be a faulty fuel filter MAYBE. but i doubt it. i drove it for an hour today and it ran fine. Little surgeing but not much. im still investigating it only died on me twice though so far.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the car dies when i get on it then push the clutch in. but it only does it sometimes not all the time. It is actually very rare, but is a pain. it has happened three times this month. Im thinking it is an IAC so next paycheck im buying a new IAC and a new fuel filter, if this doesnt help then what else would work or what else could be the problem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 96 does the same thing. It always has since I've had it for the past 2 years. It felt like it surged worse (with the air on) if the heat that day was higher. But if I push in the clutch while cruising at say 1800rpms for example, it will stay at 1800 with the clutch pushed in and barely decrease. It's never died on me while driving. But as soon as I turn the knob from A/C to vent, the rpms drop back down to normal idle (around 800). Then if I turn it back on it'll go up to 1000. Mods are just cut off mufflers (stock h pipe still) and a 3 row radiator. It did it alot worse though last year with stock radiator when the temperature gauge needle would be on the A or the L of normal. I remember 3 times in like..July I think when it was super hot outside I cranked it with the air on (after it had been driven earlier that day so it was still pretty hot) and it would surge up to around 1200 then drop down to 500 and die. Never had a problem cranking just those 3 times staying cranked.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing with the a/c on. never when a/c was off. I called my dad(smartest man I know when it comes to autos especially FORDS) about the air not being quite cold enough and he told me to put a small can of oil and 1 can of freon in the a/c and it has not done it since then.(that was 3 weeks ago)

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Idle like that with the AC on can be low freon or too much freon in the system. It'll just keep cycling and making the rpms surge. It can also happen if the AC comp is about to crap out.
If it happens all the time without the AC, could be a bad injector that's stuck open or a bad vacuum leak.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That sounds like an easy fix to a problem that has worried me for 2 years lol What kind of oil did you use whitevenom?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't remember the brand. Its the small 5-6 oz can from Wally world(wal mart). It has oil,freon,and freon enhancer in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts