Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you are starting to mod your cars like a mad man. I just wanted to post every thing I have experienced and money that I have lost due to the process.

First mistake that I made on my build that I am having to redo is my 20's. I regret buying them. Before building mustangs up, I have huge into the lowered truck scene so I only knew body drops and bags. I did have a 700+ rwhp truck but I had whipple build it for me so I knew little about it just how to drive it.

So the first thing I wanted was a set of 20's because thats what I would do for my truck. Was get a nice set of 20 inch wheels. Well now I regret it because it pretty much puts all my performance mods to no use on the street because of the lack of side wall and rotational weight.

So I spent around 2,600 for wheels and tires and I have going to be spending another 3,000 for another set of wheels soon :( so 2,600 that could of went else were.

My second biggest mistake was to bolt a Supercharger on my car with a stock block. It took about one month to get my S/C installed because of waiting on parts to come in and getting tuning done. After it blew up it took another 4-5 months to get a new block and money to fix it. So that was 6 months of time with out my car. Were if I would of built my car up in the first place and just tossed a little Nitrous on it for kicks I could of had a car for 5 months while I saved for my blower or turbo.

Now there was no money lost in that case other then having to buy a new started and doing some head work but I would of done that mod any ways. However I wanted a street legal/stock block safe blower. So I went with a Procharger P1SC which was great at first but now that I have a block that will handle over 1000hp and I have a blower that will make at MAX 630ish RWHP makes me wish I would of built it first and either bought the F1 Blower or did a nice big Turbo system.

Because now I am going to have to spend some more money 3,200ish to get a larger blower for my kit to make the power that I want.

I also bought 42lb injectors thinking those would be fine but they were not and I needed 60's, I tried to skimp on a fuel system that brenspeed had advertised for 800rwhp capable but it only worked up to 550rwhp so that was money lost as well due to them not refunding the money.

I spent money on a narrow band gauge as well which was not much but it is still 50$ that was thrown away as well. I think if I would of really sat down and though about what I wanted out of a car I would of saved my self allot more money and would be closer to finish my car. I still have a long ways to go to finish her as well.

So calculated I pretty much toss away. 6570$

Now just think about what I could do with that much money. Sure I can sale my wheels but for what 1000$ and my P1SC Head Unit for maybe 700$ and the brenspeed system for 290$ that means i still through awat 4580$ which would of covered the cost of a new transmission for me :(

So just think long and hard before you start moding your car. If you want a war horse and want to go with a Twin Screw think about building up your block first, that way you can get that bigger 3.4L Whipple or that custom T80 Turbo or a nice big Twin Turbo. Because if you turbo your car you just just change out the turbos to get more power you will have to upgrade every thing in the system along with it as well. So just think about every thing what all you want to mod on your car.

Me jumping into mods in the beginning set me back about a year in time on mods and a dump load of money.

My Future plans for my car are a
AODE Automatic Tranny with all the bells and whistles
or
Tremec 6060

I still have my stock Drive Shaft due to going to a new transmission soon but that will come.

Tru Trac Diff, 13inch Willwood breaks, F1 Blower, 18 inch forged wheels, and nitrous or meth for the track (meth if that fail safe system really works in the future and nitrous if I need it to get into the 9's only a 50 shot)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Man you been through a lot on this car,and gained a lot of wisdom. It shows that you never give up , a admirable quality now days.I have learned a lot from your posts.Number one make a plan. Building my motor will be first on the plan.I have talked to MMR quite a bit and it takes some time just to get it built.Livernoise also looks interesting just a lot more money.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the price you really can not beat MMR. In some cases they may be "SLOW" when getting your parts out but just never put your self in a hurry. I have not read about MMR blocks popping or people having issues with them other then making some great numbers. I am not sure if Livennoise uses the cast iron block or alum block. If they use the alum block thats why it costs more.

I love my cast iron block no complaints at all.

J

·
0 Posts
That is a good story. Shows that you have to know what you want and your future plans. I ask a lot here in the forums. I know the stuff I want is mild, but still ask to know what seems to work and what is crap.

Thanks to everyone in the forum for always helping out!!

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That so true. You need to see what you goals are and do the research, talk to people, ask questions. Don't let your ego over power you credit cards.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
yep made that mistake also, after spending $9000 in mods I'm going to be taking most of it off to supercharge my car in 3-4 months.

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
I am so glad I don't have cash to spend at will for my baby! I am learning so much from you guys! BTW donations are accepted Just kidding. I always figured I would work on the outside, then maybe get to the engine. By the time that happens, I will have a pretty good handle on what to do and not to do. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If i wanted to put a centrifugal blower on my car, say a non intercooled vortech with meth injection instead of a intercooler at about 8 lbs of boost do u recommend that i still beef up my internals first. My car will always be a street car probably rarely hit the track i just want something with 400-450 bhp. Thats my plan and i can do it for about 5 grand but i DO NOT want to blow my engine.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The meth is a good idea.. once i get my supercharger/intercooler from KB.. down the road i will be buying a meth kit.. those things work wonders..

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I've made plenty of mistakes along the way too and duplicated many purchases. But, I always knew that I would remain N/A so I didn't end up with huge expenses that I had to reverse. I'm satisfied with the engine build and would not have done that differently. I'm also satisfied with the $ I dumped into the rear axle. Haven't had to redo any of that. If I had to do over, looking at what I've spent, I would probably have just slapped a Powerhouse turbo on it and be done with it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So pretty much that scared me to ever supercharge my car because if i ever save up the cash to throw at my car its not going to be enough to rebuild my whole engine is a pro charger or twin screw kb need a rebuilt engine that was my idea someday and how many of your mods do you have to take off when you supercharger i want to know so i dont waste all my money on bolt on that i cant use down the road.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i want a S/C because i think the whine is really cool :)

Honestly, if i were to do some serious performance mods, i would want to do the low maintenance mods. Seeing as its a DD, i would like to not compromise the reliability. And to make it a little more fun to drive is always a good thing :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
So pretty much that scared me to ever supercharge my car because if i ever save up the cash to throw at my car its not going to be enough to rebuild my whole engine is a pro charger or twin screw kb need a rebuilt engine that was my idea someday and how many of your mods do you have to take off when you supercharger i want to know so i dont waste all my money on bolt on that i cant use down the road.

Well my plans are to0 bring my car to 435-450RWHP on stock internals with the saleen supercharger.
what I believe will have to come off of mine is underdrive pulleys, Nitrous, Delete plates, JLT and maybe upgrade torque converter.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I've made plenty of mistakes along the way too and duplicated many purchases. But, I always knew that I would remain N/A so I didn't end up with huge expenses that I had to reverse. I'm satisfied with the engine build and would not have done that differently. I'm also satisfied with the $ I dumped into the rear axle. Haven't had to redo any of that. If I had to do over, looking at what I've spent, I would probably have just slapped a Powerhouse turbo on it and be done with it.
It`s not to late for that Powerhouse. Be done with it :laugh::laugh::laugh:, that is a good one. Mustang Fever it is some dillusion, and some denial; with a need for speed.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
i would go with a saleen S/C and run low boost, like 6lbs on the stock internals. I have nowhere to go anywhere faster that i would need the extra boost. I'd want to keep the stock internals since we don't have a lot of performance shops around here.

I just want to be able to say yea.... i'm blown :shigrin

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
It`s not to late for that Powerhouse. Be done with it :laugh::laugh::laugh:, that is a good one. Mustang Fever it is some dillusion, and some denial; with a need for speed.
Only things I would need to change are the intake and headers.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Only things I would need to change are the intake and headers.
Sounds like you're already halfway to rationalizing the turbo purchase.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
you couldn't even man up the the Agent 47 mirrors to her. but then again, if you make your exhaust quieter and the the fact that its under the hood, maybe you can get away with it. "What momma don't know, won't hurt her :D"

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
you couldn't even man up the the Agent 47 mirrors to her. but then again, if you make your exhaust quieter and the the fact that its under the hood, maybe you can get away with it. "What momma don't know, won't hurt her :D"
I have no problem telling her about a $250 mod. But $6000 would be another story. You'll understand one day!;).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.