Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm going to have about 2500$ after summer to put into my 2008 gt. i want to do performance mods only.

as of right now with the research i've been doing i want to go with the

1) jlt 2 intake with the sct x3 tuner pack thing
2) jba longtubes with h-pipe
3) pypes violators axleback
4) i also want to dyno tune it and upgrade to a short throw shifter

i don't really know what else i should do. i dont want to do nitrous. i dont know about suspension mods so if i should do something to the suspension, let me know what i should do.:bigthumbsup

what do you guys think?
is there anything i should change on my list so far or add?

thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
New gears, 3.73 or 4.10's! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want to do gears, but my friend went to go have 3 73s installed on his gt and the mechanic told him that if he wanted to kill his engine, to put those on. so he never put them on. this has kind of scared me from gears. should i disregard what the mechanic said? lol:scratchchin

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah i would. its not gonna kill your engine. all it does is make the engine have higher rpms at higher speeds. its gonna effect your gas mileage but you'll move really quickly. id go only with the 3.7 though if your still scared

·
Registered
431 Posts
Gears are usually the number 2 mod that I've seen on here, after the CAI & tune. Yes, disregard what the mechanic said. Your engine will rev about 200-400 rpms higher (3.73 to 4.10 respectively) but it's not going to "kill" your engine.

I put 3.73's in mine, up from the 3.31's & it runs great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright sweet, so then ill get some gears. is there a specific brand i should get?

should i do anything with suspension?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the gears hurting the engine. Running an engine at higher RPMs does make it work harder, but I don't think it will drastically decrease the engine life or anything.

What do you want to get from the car? Faster straightline speed, better handling, better sounding exhaust, etc.?

If you're looking to go fast, then the mods you have listed are probably a good start (except the axle back -- that just sounds good, but doesn't make you go any faster!)

I've been alternating performance/suspension cycles, since I'm on a yearly budget of approximately $1000 for mods. To give you an idea of the stages I put mine on:

Year 1: CAI and tune
Year 2: springs, shocks/struts and adjustable panhard bar
Year 3: underdrive pulley and axle backs
Year 4: front/rear swaybars, upper control arm, lower control arms
Next year: LT headers, matching H-pipe and dyno tune
After that: 4.10 gears and short throw shifter

I just put in most of the suspension components (year 4) last weekend, and I dropped about $1200 on them. So far I'm really impressed, but if you don't have fun curvy roads, or autocross courses, that might not be worth it to you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you havnt done CAI/Tuner yet thats prolly the 1st thing you want to do.

If your looking to blow all the money i would do a complete suspension overhaul and the car will handle like a champ, so for those who will tell you a Mustang is kool but it doesnt handle, you can take em for a ride and make em soil their panties :hihi:.

your best bet is to do CAI/Tuner ($600ish) and along with Springs & Shocks/struts mounts ($1000ish w/labor). Then you can add some wheels and tires and have a nice looking and performing Stang.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Make sure you get the FRPP gears, do a search on here & you'll find that the Motive gears have a lot of problems with noise/whine. I believe the FRPP part number that you will find on here has changed however. The part number from my FRPP's is #M 4209 F373 N. I think the one you'll find mentioned on here ends in an 'A' or something, just make sure you don't get the ones ending in 'M'.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Check out Brenspeed on their CAI/Tuner combos, picked mine up for $500 & they've usually got one or two on sale.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
if i had that kinda money id do gears first. 3.73 or 3.90

then id beef up the internals with that fat cash in preparation for a charger or bottle!

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Are you installing the parts or paying to have it done?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright,

If you're looking to go fast, then the mods you have listed are probably a good start (except the axle back -- that just sounds good, but doesn't make you go any faster!)
what axle back should i go with to get the most hp?

If your looking to blow all the money i would do a complete suspension overhaul and the car will handle like a champ
yes i'm looking to blow all my money on this car! :bigthumbsup but what brand would be best to go with for shocks, strut mounts, springs?

thanks for all this informations guys! :wavey

also, what would be better? the c&l intake and tuner package or the jlt 2 intake and tuner package?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Squidd posed a valid question, $2500 wont even cover all of the parts and the labor, if you are not planning on doing the installs yourself be prepared to spend much more than that. Long tubes alone cost at least $1000 for a good set with mid pipe. $2500 will only go so far if you have to include paying labor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i know, installation costs a lot of money, but most of these things are easy bolt-ons. cai and tune is easy. exhaust will probably be the most challenging due to the fact i don't have a lift. the only thing, i don't know how to install is gears. but, i have friends who know how to do things like this. and i want to install everything on my car to learn how to do everything to my car for my personal knowledge and also for the satisfaction after completeing the task, rather than just spending money on the installation.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'd be scared of doing a gear install with friends, even if they knew what they were doing. That's one of the few mods that I would pay someone who is very skilled and experienced to do. I don't think it's that much for labor on those either, $250-$300 around here in MA and everything out here is $%#^@&! expensive so...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
why use the stock axle back? and where can i find some good cams?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
are those thumpr cams any good? they sound sweet:D

or are there better ones for cheaper?

are any other mods required to install these thumpr cams?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.