Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK this problem has been bothering me for a couple weeks.
When i drive in 2-5th gear (1st gear is fine, just slower)at a low RPM 1k-3k my car feels like it is going to stall, it jumps and looses power and jumps until it reaches past 3k then it drives fine.(not as fast as before but without all the jerking) its really bad in 5th going like 55mph at 1.5k rpm it jerks and feels like the engine is gonna stall out.

A little background I let a guy drive it and he dogged it out and hit a high curb and the airbags deployed. This problem didn't exist until about a week or so afterwards, so I dont know if it is relevent I have changed the fuel filter, transmission fluid, checked the plugs and coils, I thought it was gas so I ran it till empty and filled it up with BP premium and some ethanol enzyme eater stuff. I cleaned out my Air filter.

Things I am suspecting are the harmonic balancer isn't rotating like its balanced, looks like its wiggling a little, also maybe its the timing or compression? I dont know and have been scavenging every forum and dont really want to take it to a dealer. PLEASE HELP!

G

·
Welcome to AFM Lance! Well, it's really hard to get you help here as we don't know what year and model Mustang you're in. Any mods or is it all stock... how long has it been happening? Give us some info and we can help.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooh yeah lol I have a 2003 gt only mods are a cai, cat back, under drive pulleys. The under drive pulleys are a couple months old the balancer seems to new wiggling a little. Other than that its stock
Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
What kind (brand) of underdrive pulleys are on there? If they are "piggyback" style (where your stock balancer is retained and bolted on to the new crank pulley) then this could very likely be the source of your problem. Those type of pulleys are almost notorious for causing a bad crankshaft sensor (ckp) signal which results in a misfire-like symptom. And for you to say it looks like it's wobbling further points to it as being a problem.

Check engine light on (steady) or flashing intermittently at all?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say take your time and do a full sweeping search of the engine bay. Sometimes when we look for specific things that we are used to we end up missing little things that we would never think of. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They're cheap ones I got from American muscle stack racing or something they are piggy BAck. No check engine light. so no codes. I seafoamed the oil and the gas, tomorrow I'm going to seafoam the vacuum hose to clear out carbon. If it is the balancer I will rent the tools from auto zone and square that away then if that works I will save up for the steeda version. Could it be a sensor or something? Thanks for the help y'all are great

·
Registered
245 Posts
if it was a sencor there will be a check engine light

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i tried to clean the MAF sensor and it did a good job. The throttle response is way better. There were three hot wires on it and two were pretty dirty. I sprayed just about every other wired connection that I saw as well. There is still minor engine trouble. I have the stock crank balancer so I will install that back on this weekend after I see if the current bolts are at the correct tension (since it was a waste of 140 bucks for the aftermarket one) hopefully all is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I did a check on a diagnostic machine and the right back O2 sensor is reading high and there is like an 80% chance that my cat is clogged or broken on that side so that might be the problem. Just keeping the post alive in case anyone else has this problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts