Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now and am torn between full exhaust or suspension upgrades. As of right now the only mod I have is an airaid CAI. I want more power and sound but also want a little better handling. But the real question is, If you were given 1500 dollars to do anything to your car what would you do with it?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Put it towards a $7000 supercharger system. lol

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
im always a fan of good sounding cars, so i vote for some headers, offroad mid, and an axle back :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd use it to get 3.73 or maybe 3.31 gears since I do a lot of highway driving but wouldn't mind a little bit more oomph. Or maybe a PA system :yup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
See my signature inventory for the suspension mods I did. Shocks, struts, mounts, poly bushings, anti-roll bars, billet rear bar down links, HD bushing retainers with Zerk fittings, stronger cross brace for less understeer, etc. All properly integrated like. And the stance this pony should have had all along, less nosedive un der braking, sharper turn-in, and power slides at VIR when the stewards aren't being fussy. Ahhh, nirvana!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I would use that amount on the Ford Racing Handling Pack, the difference of your Mustang will be like night & day...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Bassani Headers and HiFlo cats for sure!

Or...

Eibach shocks/struts, front and rear sway bars, LCAs, a Steeda UCA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking at SLP LT headers/off road Xpipe and not too sure about the axel backs (neighbors hate me already so I dont care how loud it is). And also looking at Eibach suspension packages and a few others. Decisions decisions hmmmmmm
Thanks for all your help! I'll be making a video if I decide exhaust!

·
Registered
724 Posts
looks like ur just starting off on ur mods. im guessing you have a GT, and are looking for handling and Exhaust. im going to list acouple routes where u can achieve both

with the exhaust,you can go either two ways, full catback or offroad midpipe with axlebacks (what i went with)

Catback:
Pypes Mustang Pype-Bomb Super System Catback Exhaust (11-13 GT) SFM76M - Free Shipping!
pypes catback sounds amazing, has a 5 star rating on AM, and i have 2 friends running this system with perfect fit and finish and only $550

O/R Midpipe and Axlebacks:

GT500 axlebacks:
Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Axle-Back (2011-2013 GT) M-5230-MGTCA1 - Free Shipping!

the gt500 axlebacks are amazing axlebacks for the price, lets just say the car should have came sounding like this from the factory! they run around $310 and have 100+ reviews with a 5star rating on AM

JBA X or Hpipe
JBA After-Cat Mustang H-Pipe - 3in to 2.75in (11-13 GT) 1785SH - Free Shipping!
JBA Modular Mustang X-Pipe - 3in to 2.75in (11-13 GT) 1785SX - Free Shipping!

The JBA o/r midpipe is the perfect compliment to the gt500 axlebacks. they add 10-15hp once tuned and give the stang that perfect muscle car sound without drone. they run for about $320

Im running the axlebacks with the o/r hpipe and if i was to describe the sound in one word, it would be: "SEX" i get compliments all the time, what i like best is that when im cruising there is no drone and doesnt attract cops, but as soon as u start to accelerate it has that perfect purr. and WOT is just amazing

Now onto suspension and handling:

i went with koni str.t shocks and struts, with eibach sport springs and J&M adj panhard bar with some steeda LCAs. now i have switched out the eibach springs for H&Rs becuz i wanted to go lower. most of my parts were recommended and purchased from Sam strano aka the suspension guy! very knowledgeable guy in this department. i wanted a DD setup that would make a big difference without hurting comfort and this setup did just that, right until i added the H&R springs

Sam has 2 packages with the koni str.ts and steeda springs for a great price of $678
1.25in drop in the front and 1.5in drop in the rear
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

1in drop in the front and 1.25in drop in the rear
Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

i personally would go with the first set if u plan on getting aftermarket wheels in the future. you will have to change out ur strut mounts with gt500 ones for the konis, which u can find here for $110
Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade (05-13 All) M-18183-C - Free Shipping!

lower control arms are a great addition and help out alot with putting power down. you will definetily feel them working when punching it coming out of a turn or going WOT from 0-40 mph lol. only draw back from LCAs is that like me and many others, you will start noticing more clunking type noises, which is totally liveable but can get you paranoid the first couple hundred miles

these are on sale for $99 which is a great deal
J&M Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms (05-13 All) 23861B - Free Shipping!

these are what im running $225
Steeda Chromoly Steel Lower Control Arms (05-13 Mustang All) 555-4422 - Free Shipping!

most LCAs work the same but it just comes down to quality/loyalty for a company

in most cases you wont need a adj panhard bar if ur not lowering more then 1.25 inches. if u do lower it more then that, you will notice that ur rear axle wont be centered anymore (left wheel will stick out more then right wheel)

$115 this will do the job!
J&M Mustang Adjustable Panhard Rod (2005-2013 All) 23737 - Free Shipping!

of course this is my first stang and im still a noob, and havent tried every single brand out there but i hope this helps. and dont forget that AM offers a discount code to forum members!

with the catback, LCAs and mounts, Koni Set and the discount you should be right at:
$1392. the left over money should help pay for installation if you dont plan of doing the install yourself

·
Registered
724 Posts
and that was the longest post i have ever typed from my 2 years on this forum. u should feel special:p

·
Registered
98 Posts
koni str-r shocks/struts, FRRP 1 inch drop springs, GT500 upper strut mounts, adj panhard bar, gt 500 mufflers, and a tune

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
find $900 more and get the Recaro seats

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put the FRPP suspension on my '05 and that was the best investment I made. Yeah, the axel backs sounded great and the whipple made it quicker, but the suspension made the driving experience so much more fun. Huge difference.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
32 Posts
Full exhaust. Get that thing sounding mean.

·
Registered
217 Posts
55D springs, Koni STR.T's, Adj Panhard bar, X pipe and Tune.

·
Registered
205 Posts
New drive-shaft, exhaust, painted Roush window louvers.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
1500 would get me a pretty nice suspension upgrade, I think:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
110 Posts
1500 would get me a pretty nice suspension upgrade, I think:bigthumbsup
+1 This is next on the 'Upgrades' list. :bounce2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts