Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I get that a ignition box like msd helps deliver spark in a more efficient manner. But what exactly is it? Does it replace the coil? Does it aid in the coil? What exactly is the concept behind it. I am trying to do some research but just don't get it.

Also for tuners such as the bama. Is this a chip you plug in and if so where do you plug it? And they say no tune needed? Are they worth it? I am just trying to learn more about my car just need a ton of help!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it like an MSD or Mallory box? If it is it replaces the TFI module and with a better coil allows you to advance or retard your spark, and get a hotter more energetic spark.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Ok so I get that a ignition box like msd helps deliver spark in a more efficient manner. But what exactly is it? Does it replace the coil? Does it aid in the coil? What exactly is the concept behind it. I am trying to do some research but just don't get it.

Also for tuners such as the bama. Is this a chip you plug in and if so where do you plug it? And they say no tune needed? Are they worth it? I am just trying to learn more about my car just need a ton of help!

Thanks in advance.
It gives you a hotter spark. It doesn't replace anything in the system, its an add on that helps the stock ignition as a whole. You still keep all the factory ignition parts in place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! So for me. I do one day plan to build a mild 306 with the trick flow h/c/i with a good set of tfs heads. I'll probably upgrade to larger mass air and larger throttle body. Upgraded fuel system with 190 or more pump and keep stock sized 24# injectors. My goal would be achieved if I can get 330 horsepower and I'm hoping 350 ft/tq. Will I even benefit from an msd ignition. I have read they aren't really beneficial except etremely high performance engines putting out 6-700 hp. I feel that 330 hp with today's advances and technological advances 330 hp is pretty tame. Would I benefit from it or is it just a unecessary goodie to have?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Msd box gives you multiple sparks for every
combustion event instead of a single spark.
The spark is only as hot as the output of
the coil. Obviously 30,000 volt coil output
is not as hot as a 45,000 volt coil. Msd box
increases the output of the coil also. It doesn't
replace any existing ignition components it
complements them. In most cases I think
the stock tune is sufficient unless you have
a extremely modified engine.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Lefty-It's looking like you got some solid info on the Ignition Side-As per the Bama 4-Bannk Chip with 3 Custom Tunes this will plug in on your passenger side foot well right by the door:

It's definitely a great mod and I highly recommend it if you're looking to get a little extra pep in her step! Check out this video below as well!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Msd box gives you multiple sparks for every
combustion event instead of a single spark.
The spark is only as hot as the output of
the coil. Obviously 30,000 volt coil output
is not as hot as a 45,000 volt coil. Msd box
increases the output of the coil also. It doesn't
replace any existing ignition components it
complements them. In most cases I think
the stock tune is sufficient unless you have
a extremely modified engine.
Correct, but it only does it for about 3000 rpms. After that, it is a single spark.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch! Now what makes me nervous is messing with my existing computer. I thought it was simple plug and play. It makes me nervous. What if one day I want to do more modifications that this chip won't support. Am I able to ever plug any other chip in there rouse other options down the road should I ever need a true dyno tune.

But yea it is awesome that they are right around the corner!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts