Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new ignition cylinder for my 68 mustang, how do I remove the old cylinder from the fitting to install the new one?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cylinder that the key goes into to turn the car on. Maybe its called an ignition switch

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Sleeperstang07,

I am thinking you are trying to swap out the key. The part is referred to as an ignition lock cylinder.

I think if you read this article you will be fine in either case.
People often use the word ignition switch - - but that is the part behind the cylinder.

Check out this link and I think all your questions will be answered.

Ford Mustang Ignition Switch Replacement - Mustang Monthly

Hope ths helps - - Print Dad

·
Registered
797 Posts
put the key in, there should be a hole to put a pin in to release the mechanism, the core should then slide out...I can't remember exactly if 68's were like that, but it's somewhere to start

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im trying what the article says but it just bent the paper clip

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Sleeperstang07

See the link I sent you to - -Do you see the picture of 2 hands holding the cylinder?
Click on that picture - - -then follow alomg.
I am thinking you are trying to take the cylinder out in the dash - - You need to remove the trim first and drop the switch down and follow the article

You should see this as the 2nd picture .
So

Mustang Inginition Switch Replacement Screw On Escutcheon Photo

So to clear this up.... Go to the link - click on the picture of the 2 hands - then once that opens read it and then hit next

Print Dad

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would say if the clip is bending you do not have the key in the correct position. I have just complted the 4th change of one of these ( due to lousy switches) in the past 6 weeks and have it down pretty pat. Insert your key, turn it to the LEFT one click, insert pin through tiny hole( and it should go in freely) pull out on key while holding pin in...the entire cylinder should then come out.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should probably say that I got it to work almost instantly after my last post, but thank you for all the input it really did help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.