Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having some ignition problems and am in desperate need of some help.

bought car had custom 302 with 289 heads, all msd ignition..
guy had chopped up the warning lamps and changed some wiring.

engine blew shortly after, so i dropped in a 1995 302 out of a mustang. the msd wasnt working. so i purchased stock ignition box, solenoid, and distributor. the ignition box has 2 sets of wires,
one set has a red and a white wire, the other set has purple orange black and green. the distributor has 3 wires, purple orange(might be red) and black, so i hooked the purple wire from the ignition box to the distributor, and so on for the orange and black.then i hooked the green wire to the neg side of the coil. then i hooked up the red wire from the other set of wires to 12 v power with the key on, and to the positive side of the coil, and to the solenoid marked I. the white wire is connected to the solenoid marked S.....with key on. when i hook test light up to the positive side of the coil it lights up, when i hook test light to neg side of coil it lights up.
but it seems that the coil isnt throwing spark to dist. cap.cuz when i hook the test light up to the spark plug wire going from the coil to the dist cap it doesnt light up.
when i crank the motor and the test light is hooked up the neg side of the coil, it doesnt blink or flash.

car is getting fuel cuz i can see it in the carb when i hit the throttle.

when i first got the motor in, a guy came over and wired everything up. and it ran for a few days, but everytime i would turn the key on, i could hear the coil jumpin. it would like buzz. and at night you could see it light up. from where the wire plugs into the top, to one of the side mounts. it would jump.
and then the car would start for 10 seconds and die, and eventually it wouldnt start at all, just crank and crank, not fire up.

any help or insight...thanks

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts