Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had this car for about a day, and it was running like a champ. But with my luck When I started the car after I had gotten off work, It turned over and ran for about 2 seconds, then shut off.

I dont have much mechanical experience, but I've deducted its either the solenoid or the starter. (With Thanks to Chiltons)

When I turn the key it makes just kind of a buzzing noise. and Nothing moves.

Any help or ideas on how to fix this would rock.

Thank you.
Namath

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sure sounds like a solenoid, but check all your cable connections first. Primary suspects are the positive terminal-to-solenoid cable, and the starter cable that goes to the starter from the solenoid. Heck, even check your negative cable for proper ground where it is bolted to the side of the motor.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The purpose of the solenoid is the make the starter work. Your car started and ran for 2 seconds. I don't see how the solenoid or starter are your problem: they both did their part by starting the car didn't they??

Wiring could be a problem or a raft of other things but I doubt the solenoid/starter are your main problems.

A buzzing sound when trying to start a car usually means a dead battery. You may have multiple problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you it was actually a dead battery and the solonoid wiring was pretty faulty. so i fixed all of that yesterday.

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also suspect the battery. Before throwing parts at it, check the voltage on the battery with volt meter. It should show 11.9V (40%) - 12.7V (100%). Yellow range is 11.58V-11.75). Red 10.5V-11.31. Make sure to clean cable connections, no matter how they look.

Edit:
I guess we were typing at the same time:winks

·
Registered
667 Posts
I suppose I've just hot wired too many of them by crossing the poles on the solenoid, hence my wrong diagnosis. If it shut off because of a dead battery, you'd better check the brushes on your alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts