Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking the "hard part" of replacing my ignition switch and pigtail wire was soldering a couple of wires together, I am seemingly stuck on something that should have taken a minute to put back together, the key cylinder into the new ignition switch. I just can't get it to stay in.

I know there are instructions out there how to reinstall the key cylinder into the new switch, it looks real simple- please don't recite those instructions, I know those all ready.

Is there some sort of trick to this, or maybe someone has had a similiar frustration, mine is just not installing back into the new switch , or even the old switch for that matter, I must be doing something wrong,

If you have had a similiar experience and can help, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) There are a couple of places in which those instructions aren't really as clear as they could be. Once you have the switch installed, you need to take a flat-bladed screwdriver or something and make sure that the new switch is one click past the accessory position. You also have to have the lock cyinder, with the key in it, in that same position, as if it was already installed. Position the lock cylinder in the way that it will slide into the switch, while having the key hole in the straight up and down position and have the little pinhole for the lock release on the lower right hand side of the slot. Without allowing the outer part of the lock cylinder to rotate, rotate the inner part of the lock cylinder counter-clockwise until it is one position past where the accessory position would be. This will have the key lying almost horizontal.Push the cylinder all the way in until the little lug on the end of the lock cylinder is fully seated, and then rotate the key around clockwise. You might have to wiggle it around a little to get the lug to seat all the way down. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Veronica, between your help, and this post-

1966 Mustang Ignition/Key Problem - Ford Mustang Forums

I was able to figure out what I was doing. Here it is:

I was not using a paperclip to push in the cylinder lock, hence my key was not able to turn far enough to make the necessary travel inside the switch to seat itself.

Once I saw the pin, I was like, DUH! Only like four hours wasted, but hey, I got so good at it, I took the ignition cylinder out again, just because I could! ha

While this did not ultimately get my car fixed(other problems in another post here), it did test out and provide the correct voltage through the resistor wire.

Note to others who have this now solved dilemma- Read my post first, unless your going to have sore fingers!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts