Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way to retard spark when at WOT? Can this be done with XCAL or Predator?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Yes it can... more so with the X-Cal I've been told...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I do not have any details on the SCT's capabilities, but the Predator can 'globally' advance/retard the timing across the entire rpm range all at once, from just 2000-4000 rpm, or from just 4000-7000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ski said:
I do not have any details on the SCT's capabilities, but the Predator can 'globally' advance/retard the timing across the entire rpm range all at once, from just 2000-4000 rpm, or from just 4000-7000 rpm.
I understand about the dual ranges (2k-4k, 4k-7k) as well as the global spark adjustment. I am looking toretard ONLY at wide open throttle. I want to do this for reasons to do with my nitrous oxide setup as it kicks it only at WOT, not a specific RPM range. I'd like the best performance possible for my everyday driving, but to use anything higher than a 75HP shot of nitrous you need to retard the spark 2 degrees for every 25HP shot above 75. So if I wanted to have a 125HP shot Iwould need to retard spark 4 degrees when nitrous is injected. But driving around retarded 4 degrees would not give best performance when not using nitrous, so I need to retard only at WOT. I looked at the Diablosport and SCT web sites and can't find anything about WOT except fuel tables. I've heard of computer "plug in" modules that can do this but I can't seem to find anything like that.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'll see Ken later today an find out for you. I think with the SCT unit you can retard per RPMs or throttle position, for any position to the max +/- 15 degrees which is what the VT will alow.

I think you need a professinal tuner for this, or at least the sofware... Ken have NO2 tunes on file if you were interested in gettng a 'complete' tune...??

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kj_cinci said:
I'll see Ken later today an find out for you. I think with the SCT unit you can retard per RPMs or throttle position, for any position to the max +/- 15 degrees which is what the VT will alow.

I think you need a professinal tuner for this, or at least the sofware... Ken have NO2 tunes on file if you were interested in gettng a 'complete' tune...??
I'm sceduled for a dyno/tune time with the best guy in these parts, it takes six weeks just to get into this guy's shop.

I'm sorry, I don't know Ken but I would love to get any tunes that are available for the setup I have.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Ken is one of the best tuners around... he's the one that did the CAI shootout for example...

He told me today that you'll have to have two tunes for it to have the best of both worlds, NA and NOS... He could see what you were saying about it only kicking in at WOT with NOS but the engine (timing) won't know if there is NOS or not... so you can have a tune kinda inbetween, leaning toward where you'll be more often using WOT...

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, KJ. I'll keep looking around for that computer adapter I've heard of to see if it really exists. I guess in the meantime I'll just have to have a street tune and a drag strip tune.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, KJ. I'll keep looking around for that computer adapter I've heard of to see if it really exists. I guess in the meantime I'll just have to have a street tune and a drag strip tune.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts