Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having problems with my 96gt ignition switch. im unable to start the car unless i push start it, they ignition switch is turned off and all lights are on in the dash like it was left to on position, it feels like the switch is not clicking when you turn it to on or off. once i do have it started by push starting it, i cannot turn it off unless i just let go of the clutch, its stays on "on/acc". any suggestions if is the ignition switch that went out or electrical issues.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It really does sound like its the switch - and which is a known issue with these cars.

Did you recently have to replace lost keys?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got a new key for the car, could that broken the switch since it wansn't an oem key from ford? thanks Tripleblack..

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You might have a PATS problem, rather than a busted ignition switch. Did the new key EVER work properly? Have you recently had any other modification or work done, which immediately preceded the problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the new key worked no problem at all, side doors open, start right away, except the trunk, i had to wiggle it around to pop it open. as far mods i haven't done anything on it lately.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
OK

the new key worked no problem at all, side doors open, start right away, except the trunk, i had to wiggle it around to pop it open. as far mods i haven't done anything on it lately.
OK, back to the ignition circuit, then. I would suspect the switch first and foremost, though it COULD be a wiring problem between the switch and the solenoid and starter.

Check ALL the fuses, of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i checked all the fuses are fine, i did take the switch out and found a very small plastic piece inside, size of a tic-tac but flat. the switch looks okay, but where to rod goes in to from the key switch inside the steering collum looks broken, it just freely spins when i tried spinning it with a flat head screwdriver, switch is fine. is this something easy to replace or just get it done? it looks like the whole ignition switch housing is all connected with the steering collum..thanks

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
CAREFUL from this point on. You are close to the air bag. ALWAYS disconnect the neg. battery terminal before working on these parts!

Take the old switch with you and visit a Ford dealer and compare what you have with a new part. I'm not tracking the plastic part you are talking about, so we may be nearing the point where you need to do some hands-on with the dealer. I THINK you probably have a broken switch, but short of psychic powers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.