Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having a problem w/ my car firing. when i turn the key over it turns over fine, but i have no spark at the coil. when i am turning the car over i only have 9 volts at the positive side of the coil. i am running a ready to run distributor from MSD. i contacted them and they said to jump a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil. when i did that it fired right up. they said if it started it would not be the internal module in the distributor. but then when i tried to shut it down i turned the key to off and the car continued to run. i had to pull the positive side of the battery off to get it to shut down. i cant figure out why i only have 9 volts to the coil. could this be caused by a bad ignition switch since it wont shut down when it does fire?????

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me. They are easy to replace and relatively cheap. Make sure you have tamperproof torx bits.

Lower the front steering column nuts to almost the last threads and you can get the switch out after taking the cover off the steering wheel and the bottom covers of the dash.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.