Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After painting the engine turns out the wires connecting to the ignition coil broke right at the neck. They looked like they were fraying when I first checked them anyways so no suprise. Is this a cheap and easy fix? Not sure if I should just fix it or hold off and re-wire the whole car. Any advice? I dont believe the wiring has been changed ever and it is a 66 with the original 289.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) That is a very cheap and easy fix. The wire that goes to the + side of the coil is part of the engine gauge harness, which costs like 35 bucks, and the wire that goes to the - side of the coil is called the distributor primary wire and costs about 5 bucks. Replacing the engine gauge harness is a very simple matter. Just unplug the old one at the firewall, the heater blower, the starter solenoid, and the sending units, and plug the new one in. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks veronica, do you know where to find that specific part its the positive wire but I may as well replace both if its cheap. I can only find the wires sold with the coil not seperately.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It's called the "Engine Gauge Feed Harness". It takes about 5 minutes to install and you're good to go. Just follow Veronica's instructions.

I'm going to give you the link to NPD but any of the Mustang Suppliers will carry this harness. At NPD, Look up part # 14289-3B. Double check to make sure it's for your car. Good Luck. :winks

NPDLink | National Parts Depot

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Yup, replacing the engine gauge harness can easily be done in nearly no time flat. Replacing the primary wire that goes from the distributor to the coil is slightly more involved, but, not much. While doing that, it would be a good time to replace the ponts and condensor, also, and, it's much easier to attach the wire to the points while they're both in your hand instead of the distributor. The points and condensor can be purchased at any major auto parts chain store for next to nothing. The BWD Select part # on the points is A101V for a 260 or a 289 that isn't a K code. The condensor is G125, also BWD Select. Here's how to set the points. :)
The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Setting the points in your distributor

·
Registered
471 Posts
Since you have to go in the distributor to do the repair I would think about doing a electronic conversion, can be done for less than $100.00 :bigthumbsup and work better than points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.