Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i am dean rogal, i am from hastings pennsylvania. I bought my first mustang 2 weeks b4 my 14th birthday. its a 1966 coupe v8 while rebuilding it weve realized some special things like a thick sway bar, we know this because we bought a parts car. well my first car has a rust free frame its originally from florida and the guy brought it to sommerset then to a new owner joe, who i bought it off of for 400 dollars. the whole body needs replaced. so me and my dad have it down to the frame every once in a while buying a new part and installing it. so far we have bought a 1/4 panel, complete trunk floor, rear cross member. taillight panel, outer wheel houses. we have subfram connectors installed, and we are in the process of cutting the roof off of the parts car to replace the one on it. the sail panels were rusted out. we also purchased a complete floor pan. We need to get the other 1/4 panel and a new cowl panel, fenders, hood etc. haha so it is a complete restorarion COMPLETE not what you guys think complete is. So i came across a deal hard to pass up a guy that lives around here says he has a 69 fastback in texas and wants 500 for it. just the body no drive train. i did some research with the info he gave me which was a big block, shaker hood, and automatic, is what came on it. I have done research and found that t can only be a 1969 mach 1 that came with a 428 cobra jet! it will cost around 650 to go get it, and idk what to do. i cant spend a crap load of money. i can either buy it get it up here and sell it for however much i can get out of it and hopefully finish my car with a high performance engine and stuff. or i can get it up here and get my car to selling par and sell it and try to scramble a drivetrain together and finishing touches. WOW idk what to do. but if i sell my car i cant iamgine getting alot so the 69 wouldnt be so hi-po, i cant find a 428 cj, and a compelte one cost 10g+ HELP!!!

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Lets try your question in here.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I say save your money for the 66. Just because he tells you the 69 is in good shape doesn't mean it is. Plus the 66 is so much better. 66 is one of the best years for vintage Mustangs. Plus, parts for the 69 are more expensive because they aren't as widely reproduced as the 64-66 parts. In fact there are a couple engines for sale on my craigslist. There is a 68 289, a 66 289 that I think has a 4 barrel carb, and a 1970 302. All three of those engines would fit in your 66.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Stick with the 66 is my vote.
You will be very happy with it when it is done. Be sure to keep your Dad involved and motivated to help you. Believe me, it is HUGE when he comes out into the garage and you are working/cleaning/sanding/fixing the car on your own...
My 18 year old son LOVES his 66 after 2 1/2 years of work.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Stick with the 66 coupe. Yes, the 69 Sportsroof is more desirable, especially if it is a true 428 car, R or Q code in 5th digit of VIN, but it will cost you 30-40K to rebuild that 69 correctly. As mentioned, must more expensive cars to restore, even worse being a big block!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to agree here with everyone else. A big block Mach 1 is a great car to have and will hold its value much better than a small block early 60's model especially if it's a coupe. But unless you have to money to sink into it you'll never get it on the road and the way the market is right now it's cheaper to buy one complete than to restore one. I have a buddy that has a completely restored '69 Mach 1 390 and he has $30k in it, and he's been trying to sell it for $32 and can't even get that for it. Not to mention you have a better chance of getting that '66 on the road and enjoying than you do the '69. My recommendation is to enjoy what you have then sell it when you can make a little money on it and move up that way. There will always be other deals out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another question

hey everyone, i am dean rogal, i am from hastings pennsylvania. I bought my first mustang 2 weeks b4 my 14th birthday. its a 1966 coupe v8 while rebuilding it weve realized some special things like a thick sway bar, we know this because we bought a parts car. well my first car has a rust free frame its originally from florida and the guy brought it to sommerset then to a new owner joe, who i bought it off of for 400 dollars. the whole body needs replaced. so me and my dad have it down to the frame every once in a while buying a new part and installing it. so far we have bought a 1/4 panel, complete trunk floor, rear cross member. taillight panel, outer wheel houses. we have subfram connectors installed, and we are in the process of cutting the roof off of the parts car to replace the one on it. the sail panels were rusted out. we also purchased a complete floor pan. We need to get the other 1/4 panel and a new cowl panel, fenders, hood etc. haha so it is a complete restorarion COMPLETE not what you guys think complete is. So i came across a deal hard to pass up a guy that lives around here says he has a 69 fastback in texas and wants 500 for it. just the body no drive train. i did some research with the info he gave me which was a big block, shaker hood, and automatic, is what came on it. I have done research and found that t can only be a 1969 mach 1 that came with a 428 cobra jet! it will cost around 650 to go get it, and idk what to do. i cant spend a crap load of money. i can either buy it get it up here and sell it for however much i can get out of it and hopefully finish my car with a high performance engine and stuff. or i can get it up here and get my car to selling par and sell it and try to scramble a drivetrain together and finishing touches. WOW idk what to do. but if i sell my car i cant iamgine getting alot so the 69 wouldnt be so hi-po, i cant find a 428 cj, and a compelte one cost 10g+ HELP!!!

ok but should i spend the 1200 dollars to bring it up here how much do you think i could sell a 69 mach 1 original 428 cj car? if more than 1200 it would be beneficial and ive seen reg. 69 body shells for sell around 2g how mcuh for this 5? is that even possible haha?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sometimes a good deal is not a good deal.
If he could get more for what he has to sell, I am sure he would.
Be careful to not get into a time and money pit you will not be able to climb out of.

The 66 is a very cool car and easy to work on with lots of parts available. I would again urge you to put your money there.

But sounds like you have made up your mind.

Life teaches the best lessons sometimes.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
Christophers 66 Mustang Restoration and Modification

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would ask for pics of the inside outside and underneath if it doesnt look like a total rust bucket get it clean it up top to bottom and sell it without putting in any money other than cleaning supplies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.