Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i am really stupid. i am officially banned from working on my car for at least a month....
in the mean time...
i managed to lose a spray can straw into my cylinder through the spark plug hole tonight. i can see the bugger down in the immensely deep but narrow hole, but cannot get on it with any tool that i own. i tried a fish wire with a gob of glue on the end, but the glue just wouldn't stick to the straw enough to get out of the hole.
i am very worried that i need to tow this thing to a good mechanic to have the whole engine torn down to retrieve this straw. cha ching.
any ideas of how to get something out of a cylinder? i'm guessing that this has happened before to someone, right?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Which cylinder? Is it like a WD40 straw? Is the straw standing on end or did it fall flat on the piston? If it is straight up and down, you might be able to slowly turn the engine with someone watching. (Read: by hand) and if the straw goes up the hole, turn until it stops and then starts to drop again. then vacuum it out.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Many hardware stores and auto parts stores make a tool which looks like it has 3-4 fingers on one end and a throttle cable with a button on the other end. You push the button and the fingers spread out until you release the button. I bet you could use one of those to remove it.

This is similar to what I am talking about, only this one has a magnet on the end:

Amazon.com: KD 2391 Flexible Retrieving Tool: Home Improvement

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe rig something up with a shop vac, some duct tape and some small diameter air tubing, like for fishtanks.... Just brainstorming here lol, might or might not work.

·
0 Posts
Try something like a wooden dowel with a wad of chewed bubble gum on one end.:headscratch:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Try something like a wooden dowel with a wad of chewed bubble gum on one end.:headscratch:
And if the gum falls off youll have gum stuck in there GUMMING up your injectors, lol...Ha Im only kidding. I would get a shiskabob stick some double sided take and try that.

·
0 Posts
And if the gum falls off youll have gum stuck in there GUMMING up your injectors, lol...Ha Im only kidding. I would get a shiskabob stick some double sided take and try that.
Well, he already has a straw in there, some gum won't hurt.:D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Soda Straw and a String

yes, i am really stupid. i am officially banned from working on my car for at least a month....
in the mean time...
i managed to lose a spray can straw into my cylinder through the spark plug hole tonight. i can see the bugger down in the immensely deep but narrow hole, but cannot get on it with any tool that i own. i tried a fish wire with a gob of glue on the end, but the glue just wouldn't stick to the straw enough to get out of the hole.
i am very worried that i need to tow this thing to a good mechanic to have the whole engine torn down to retrieve this straw. cha ching.
any ideas of how to get something out of a cylinder? i'm guessing that this has happened before to someone, right?
Brain storming here. What would I try....
A long drinking straw.......
on one end make a hole in the side about 1/2 inch from the end then take some fishing line and fold a lenght of it in half. What you want is a noose coming out of the hole in the side with the two lines going up the straw. You want to have a loop sticking out that hole in the side and see if you can get that loop around the lost tube. If you can, tighten the noose around it and pull it out. How to see all that down that spark plug hole? I have no idea. Maybe you can get a bore scope from some place.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, what grn said, that claw tool is worth its weight in gold. Its great for retrieving all kinds of dropped stuff and undoing those g-ddammit! situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the ideas. the mechanical finger seems like the best bet.
the straw in the cylinder is the kind you'd have on wd-40 or brake cleaner.
i tried the wire with the sticky goo on the end and the goo just wouldn't stick to the straw. i need something with more grabbing power.
it's terribly difficult to see in the hole and even more difficult to reach in there.
how do i turn the engine manually w/o starting it?
(oh, and thanks for not banning me from the forum!)

·
Registered
625 Posts
i would rig up a vacuum cleaner like somebody said about. you could probably use duct tape and a drinking staw

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the ideas.
i tried my shop vac. it actually sealed against the spark plug hole very well. i don't think the straw has enough surface area to be suceptible to sucking. either that, or it's just under the lid of the engine and kind of stuck a little.
just went to advance and bought a mechanical finger. will let you know how it comes out. let's hope it does come out!

oh, and how do i identify the crank pulley bolt? i'm guessing it's the one on the front of the engine that isn't an alternator, air conditioner or other add-on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i prayed several times and stuck that magic finger down in the cylinder and after two or three tries, i got that straw out of there!!!! praise god and long live mechanical fingers.
is it bad that i also pulled an old tennis shoe out? :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
i prayed several times and stuck that magic finger down in the cylinder and after two or three tries, i got that straw out of there!!!! praise god and long live mechanical fingers.
is it bad that i also pulled an old tennis shoe out? :)
You sure it wasnt the shoe from your foot, Id imagine itd be pretty worn after all that walking to Advanced.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Those tiny clamp rigs are AWESOME, especially if they're the magnetic kind also.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
hell i love my car so much i would put a drinkin straw down in there over the little straw and suck the small straw into my throat if i had to to get it out hahaah :laugh:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I have 3 different size "grabbers". I drop EVERYTHING at least once, and usually right where it will wedge itself somewhere between the starter and, say, China.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I've had the same problem TB, and after all these years you'd think I would've outgrown it, but nope. I also have a bunch of those grabbers, they really help getting those things out of china.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.