Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1998 Mustang GT convertable and I need to know a little bit more about her. She is in need of some TLC, like a new top, a problem with drivers side window etc. but it's the stuff under the hood that I'm here to get advice and knowlegde about.

Got to take care of the car because I'm going to be giving it to my son eventually.

peaceout.gif

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to the site!
What kind of stuff do you want to know?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For starters having a problem with surging. Most noticable while idiling the enging surgis and the RPM shoot up a little along with a clicking sound. I'v been given advice from a problem with the transmission trying to switch gears to changing the air filter which it does need. could it be a problem with the throttle, fuel injection? I asked around and get a different answer each time.

A brother with a ford ranger said his truck was acting similar and through a rod. Seems the more I ask the more I'm confussed. I don't know if I should be driving it.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Welcome to AFM you have definitely come to the right place :bigthumbsup

Be sure to check out the part of the forum that deals with your generation/engine type. I am sure there are many people there who could help you out with anything that may arise with your Mustang. :yup:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Welcome!

You will get more responses if you were to post this in the 4.6L Techl however, surging idle points to the IAC. The IAC on these 4.6Ls are common problems and very easy to replace. Some say to clean it, but I recommend to replace it with a Ford OEM unit. I would also check for vaccuum leaks.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts