1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this while browsing for an answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstrey
Also double check your pcv valve. Also your breather tube that runs from your oil fill neck to your intake tube. If those are clogged or capped you can build crankcase pressures causing your seals to blow out like its your job.
I noticed my oil needle was a bit low so i added some oil. I ALSO PUT BACK IN THE CLEANED & TREATED K&N AIR FILTER. (if i over lubed that filter could this cause pressure to build up like you are speaking of above) because the engine smokes just a bit but it LITELY fogs in thru the air vents until i get going at a normal highway speed.

I know i need to replace my valve cover gaskets so could just adding the extra oil do this? I didnt notice it when I first bought it & had the oil changed.

one more thing im noticing during idle that the oil needle gauge is fluctuating!

I know im rambling but I do not wanna tear my engine up yet at the same time I don't want it to just be the small amount of oil seeping thru the gaskets that just needs to burn off.

Any and all answers would help me as well

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
What is your specific problem? I gather you are having oil or oil pressure problems, but what are they? Too low oil pressure? Too high? Using oil? Leaking oil?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your specific problem?

My Mustangs gauge is acting up while at the same time a very lite almost transparent smoke is coming from under the hood & air vents.

I gather you are having oil or oil pressure problems, but what are they?

"I noticed my oil needle was a bit low so i added some oil. I ALSO PUT BACK IN THE CLEANED & TREATED K&N AIR FILTER which I had never used before it just had a regular air filter in it when I purchased it this summer. (if i over lubed that filter could this cause pressure to build up like what I quoted in the threads start above) because the engine smokes just a bit but it LITELY fogs in thru the air vents until i get going at a normal highway speed."

Too low oil pressure? Too high? At idle most often the gauge fluxuates from just below normal to very low oil pressure yet not in the danger/red area. It seems to pretty much level out at once I hit a normal driving speed.

Using oil? It is definitely leaking some oil around the VCG that I need to replace.

Leaking oil? "I noticed my oil needle was a bit low so i added some oil." So yes I think from the valve cover gaskets
Sorry I was in a hurry earlier I hope this explains it a bit more.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I suppose the first thing I would do is check the oil and see where it is on the dipstick. Start with the simple stuff. Next, I would make sure the vacuum line to the PCV valve is functional (make sure it isn't blocked). I think you said you already replaced the PCV valve, but did you clean out the screen below it?

The factory oil pressure gauge is pretty worthless as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want to go through the trouble of hooking up a gauge inside the car, add a mechanical oil pressure gauge under the hood. You can T off the port so you can run the factory sender and a line to an aftermarket gauge.
Just for the record, I have a full sweep Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge under my radio, along with a full sweep mechanical water temp gauge and full sweep mechanical vacuum gauge. The oil pressure and temperature in the factory cluster never move - No longer connected :smoke:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts