Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it going?

I have a 1966 Mustang and its been running fine until today? It won't start up.
Its electrical issues. I've replaced the starter solenoid, alternator, and voltage regulator. I had the same issue about a year ago but I just had to get the voltage regulator replaced and I also replaced the starter. Now when I get it jump started the voltage drops on the battery and the alternator doesn't charge still. I also just got a tune up around 3 weeks ago. The only thing I can think of now is some type of wiring issue. I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
1. Check the voltage on the battery. It should be above 12V. Have someone check it while you try and start it too. It shouldn't drop more than 0.5V or so.

2. You're alternator wiring is probably messed up, or you have a bad alternator. Possibly the alternator is bad or it isn't wired correctly, therefore your battery has just been draining without getting any recharge.

I had several starting problems when I first got my 66 and after finding and eliminating the main problem (horn wires were grounding out on the frame), I got a brand new battery and have been good ever since. Before figuring out the root of the problem, I had blown through 3 batteries. Also, my alternator wiring wasn't hooked up right, so the battery would drain from the horn wire grounding out and then not get recharged from the alternator. Good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It ended up just being the old alternator that failed killed the battery. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. Thanks for the advice. Shes running like a champ now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nevermind I think i have a ground somewhere cause it was running but then the battery started to drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts