Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was the guy that has the friend with the pipe bender and I'm fabbing up my own exhaust. I was thinking, Why not just make my own Cold Air Intake?!?! It really wouldn't be too hard would it? I think I'd like to get a different MAF sensor for looks, not so much for performance. I'd be making the piping out of some nice stainless steel. I'm pretty excited about doing this so any tips and tricks would rock socks. Thanks guys!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
ell if you are oing to do a cai, you can route the new piping into the front fender, 2 reasons, 1. would look nice showing all that chrome, 2. No one would see your MAF so you can use the money somewhere else. The bottom line is if you ever plan on supercharging your car, thats where you would locate the MAF and Air Cleaner.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just as long as you reuse the right parts, you can actually get the parts to make your own from most auto parts stores.

I buy mods now a days after cashing in my extra change and I'm saving up to use that with my K&N Filter atm. Just have the large airflow code deleted or resolved.

I'm not sure about the heat quality of what your wanting to use though. Stainless is fine for exhaust cause heating up isn't a huge issue, but I'm not sure what normal CAI piping is made out of and how heat resistant they are in comparison. As long as stainless does heat faster than whatever is used by most companies your fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea I was looking at it and it's odd that people pay $200+ for a cold air intake. Of course those ones are fine tuned and come with everything needed. But I figure I could fab up something nice for less than $20 and get nearly the same results. I plan on using.....I think it's ceramic paint on all of the piping, inside and out to keep the heat down. Hey, if it all comes together nicely and works well, I'll try to get it dynoed (we have a dyno at school) and put up some numbers. Maybe I'll even sell 'em:gringreen

Also, HERNER1 are you saying I could put my MAF sensor in the fenderwell? Or is that too soon in the plumbing??

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
keep the MAF in its stock housing unless you want to go through the trouble to use pipe that has exactly the same inside diameter of the current housing and then find a way to drill a hole in the pipe and mount it facing the right way to make it work..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would only require 2 rubber couplers wouldnt it?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
hte MAF has to be able to screw into something on the pipe.. also you'd need to have a place for the pcv hose and the IAT sensor

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I see what youre saying. That side of the MAF has the plate to screw into the housing. This is a noob question but can't I just grind that plate until it looks like the other side?

G

·
The only thing I'd be concerned about would be the diameter of the pipe you're using. Keeping the MAF sensor calibrated to your new tubing might be problematic if it's not up to spec. I'm all for you doing something custom but keep in mind you can get a nice unit from American Muscle that is under a $100 and works well.

Keep us posted!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i would not grind anything on the MAF sensor... its a pretty delicate thing honesly i just vote for buying the american muscle one for like 70 bucks.. but if youre dead set on doing this and have someone who knows what theyre doing to fabricate it.. then you have my pointers and advice already

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, good advice guys. I'll definitely post updates. I'm hunting down the right tubing that won't conduct too much heat. the fabrication looks to be a breeze, just gotta find the right stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.