Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wracking my brain about this for the past few months. I don't know which route to go down with, if i should keep my car, (s/c 03 gt 375hp 386tq) or buy a terminator 03-04 cobra, or, 03 mach 1. I love all 3, my car needs minor maintenance but nothing major. The cobra has everything i could dream for, except, #1. Theyre far and few between here in san diego lately, #2. IRS, i want to autocross eventually, and i love drag racing. Just looking on some input on these 3 setups:

My 2003 Mustang GT-
needs bigger brakes, new seats because i slip out of them while racing, and more HP

2003-04 Cobra-
needs solid rear axle, suspension, and more hp

2003 Mach 1-
forged internals, a centri s/c, suspension, and more hp

I'd love a car that would push ATleast 600 rwhp with a good tune pushing some decent boost. My s/c atm is only pushing 8psi on the stock 2v.

All in all, i guess im just looking for a more defined route to go down, i love all 3 cars, but definately wouldnt mind selling my GT for a Mach or Cobra. Getting a loan would be easy, and i know MACH's around here are 12-14k. Cobra's are 18k+ (lucky sob if you find one for 18k).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dont mind me asking, but...whats wrong with IRS and auto-x? I thought that IRS was better for tracks while a live axle was better for drag racing. Especially since going around corners quickly, having IRS you would be able to maintain control and grip easier than a live axle which would be more proned to body roll and oversteering. I dont know, just what I have always been told and what I thought was a well known fact. Correct me if I am wrong please. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hold on, a 03 gt that you have stands nothing on a 03-04 terminator that with a pulley change and a retune its well into the 450hp range. Even with the irs you just get some real wheel hop and gm vehicles have been using it for years with amazing results. Better suspension in the rear and all you do is hook up. A mach 1 isnt much even with the motor upgrade and your car even though its nice cant compete with a 03-04 cobra. Hands down the cobra is the way to go. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
805 Posts
And there are plenty of very low mileage ones out here in cali for around 22k with under 30k miles that i saw today on craigslist. Irs is better for road racing hands down and a straight axle is a bit better for quarter mile although like i said gm has been using irs in all their high end cars for years now and the only complaint i have ever heard from the drag guys running terminators is wheel hop.

·
Registered
490 Posts
go with 03 cobra. keep the IRS. its a godsend. and if i were you the only other option id do is a 01 cobra. why mach? its a 01 cobra with less power and no irs. i guess if you dont want irs go mach? ha

why do u need better. id be happy with that gt. lol.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The problem with the IRS is that it breaks easier at the strip when you slap some slicks on it. A Terminator would be the best route all the way. If you want to autocross it has the power, the IRS, and can lay some damn good times at the drag strip. They make kits to beef up the IRS, but still IRS is the weak link for drag racing. I'm sure it wouldn't break on your first launch, but eventually it'll go sooner than a solid rear axle would go. If it were me I would go for the Terminator. In my case though, I'm looking at getting a Mach 1 because I want the auto for drag racing and I want to do a full NA build and use it for a daily driver. But that's after I finish school, I'm going to tinker with my GT until then.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I would go with the Terminator. All-around better everything. The IRS is a weak link but it's usually with slicks and a 4krpm or higher launch at the track. There are guys that have gone in the 10's with the IRS. Most just put on the IRS brace and HD launch brace with DR's and barely get wheel hop or non at all. i haven't gotten wheel hop not once.
Mach's are pretty darn close to the 99 01 Cobra's. they've been known to be underratted and claimed to be more like 320HP just like the 99/01 Cobra's. But to push the evelope on the Mach or 99/01 Cobra you have to beef it up to take the abuse. Terminators have that problem fixed. A stocker Terminator could stick or edge out your GT as it sits but yeah, a pulley and tune and it'll walk your car.
Terminator FTW :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
if you want 600RWHP the terminator will end up costing you less and will be a better platform to use

·
Registered
33 Posts
You keep your GT and buy me the Cobra or Mach 1 and i will test it out for you and then you can by yourself one.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.