Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide me with some info.
I live in Canada and would like to purchase a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP, but many of the features (and the pricing) are lacking when compared to the US model. Because of this I'd like to import one from the US.
The only issue I've encountered so far is that I don't know if I will be able to get the car across the border as no 2013 ford vehicles have been added to the list of admissible vehicles set in place by Transport Canada.
As seen here : FORD MERCURY / LINCOLN

I'm hoping to find out if any of you have brought over a 2013 or 2012 ford soon after their initial release. Or if you know of anyone who has had issues
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also looking to import a 2013 Mustang. I am also wondering when the admissibility list is updated but no one seems to know as apparently it is voluntary by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am also looking to import a 2013 Mustang. I am also wondering when the admissibility list is updated but no one seems to know as apparently it is voluntary by the manufacturers.
If you ever find any info please let me know.
I'll be sure to post any info I find here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the answer:
Last year it was June. The year before it was April.
Really? That's great to hear!
When I called transport canada a lady told me that the 2012s were added at the very end of 2011.
Then again, she didn't sound to knowledgable on the topic.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is the best place I've found for information about importing vehicles: BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada. There's telephone numbers at the bottom. As previously mentioned, you might not get a hold of the smartest person on the other side.

Hopefully things will be better for you this year. When trying to get my car last summer the wait was extensively long, so I went to some Michigan dealers about buying a car, then bringing it over. Once they heard I was Canadian it was as if I had the plague and refused to help me. Ford doesn't appreciate having customers from a certain country purchasing out of district. Good luck though!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello,
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide me with some info.
I live in Canada and would like to purchase a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP, but many of the features (and the pricing) are lacking when compared to the US model. Because of this I'd like to import one fr
There is not much to it really. You need to get what is called a RIV (go to riv.ca) . Once you find a dealer that will sell a new vehicle to you ( the farther from the border , the easier it will be) collect all the required documents as outlined on the above website. It is cheapest if you actually drive the vehicle across the border yourself. At the border you will pay the HST on the vehicle, the $225 reg fee and I think there was a air conditioning tax and maybe tire tax which is under $200 if I remember. They then give you a few weeks to get the safety check completed. During the safety check you will need to have a ford dealer get the Daytime running lights password from transport canada and turn them on with software. You will need to get the OD modified to read KM (was done with stickers in the past). Once you get the safety done, thats pretty much it. You then go to the registration office and complete the process. I checked into this last year before buying my 2012. It seemed pretty much a no brainer as long as you had all your documentation at the border. I can't remember in detail the whole process, but it seemed easy once I read about the process, then talked to someone in the RIV department. You can also pay someone to do this for you.

The bonus is your car comes without features turned off like they do on Canadian cars. You may also want to verify with Ford Canada that they have not changed their policies on warranty if you buy your car in the U.S. In 2012 they were honoring warranty on both sides of the border, but I would not leave this to chance. I also recommend you send the documentation to the border agencies where you are crossing about 3 days ahead of importation and call them also to discuss the transaction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The issue at the moment for me is when the cars get on the import admissibility list. I'm hoping it is within the next 4-6 weeks as I have a car on order in the States and it is likely to be delivered within the next 2-3 weeks. I've done my research on the process and at the moment that seems like the easy part!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is not much to it really. You need to get what is called a RIV (go to riv.ca) . Once you find a dealer that will sell a new vehicle to you ( the farther from the border , the easier it will be) collect all the required documents as outlined on the above website. It is cheapest if you actually drive the vehicle across the border yourself. At the border you will pay the HST on the vehicle, the $225 reg fee and I think there was a air conditioning tax and maybe tire tax which is under $200 if I remember. They then give you a few weeks to get the safety check completed. During the safety check you will need to have a ford dealer get the Daytime running lights password from transport canada and turn them on with software. You will need to get the OD modified to read KM (was done with stickers in the past). Once you get the safety done, thats pretty much it. You then go to the registration office and complete the process. I checked into this last year before buying my 2012. It seemed pretty much a no brainer as long as you had all your documentation at the border. I can't remember in detail the whole process, but it seemed easy once I read about the process, then talked to someone in the RIV department. You can also pay someone to do this for you.

The bonus is your car comes without features turned off like they do on Canadian cars. You may also want to verify with Ford Canada that they have not changed their policies on warranty if you buy your car in the U.S. In 2012 they were honoring warranty on both sides of the border, but I would not leave this to chance. I also recommend you send the documentation to the border agencies where you are crossing about 3 days ahead of importation and call them also to discuss the transaction.
Thanks!
Would you mind sharing what time last year you brought over your 2012 so that I can have a better idea of when TC might add the 2013s to the admisible vehicles list.
Thanks again,
Arek Sredzki

·
Registered
3 Posts
Import to Canada

Not sure if I'm late in responding. Just imported 2013 Shelby cobra from Florida. No issues. Plated and on the road same day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts