Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my Mustang since 1998 and I have always found it to be quite good on gas. Recently someone called BS on my claims regarding how much actual driving I can get out of a tank of gas. So, for the first time ever, I measured my fuel consumption.

I did so over a complete tank and drove the car the way I always have. I cruise with it for kicks (not a daily driver) and, during this tank, all of my driving was realistically split mileage-wise between bumbling around town (and cruising all of the "hot spots") and driving on rural secondary highways with 50 mph posted limits.

I didn't adjust my driving in any way (and had actually forgotton that I was doing this test for most of the actual driving). I didn't drive as if I was trying to get good mileage - I just drove, which, for me, means fairly steady cruising with the odd occasion to let 'er stretch her legs outside of town. I don't drive like Grandma Moses but I don't drive like I just robbed a bank either, if you know what I mean.

The end result was an actual, real world 29.1 miles per US gallon. This is quite a bit more than the official government rating on the top highway only mileage for this car, let alone what I've been doing with it.

Now it is understood that my car is totally stock, kept in top condition with all tune-up items tended to, is a stick shift and has 2.73 gears. I use AMSOil in the engine, Mobil One synthetic tranny fluid, regular Motorcraft spark plugs and a K&N air filter. I keep the stock sized tires (on the stock rims) at the recommended 30psi. I run fuel injector cleaner through the system about 3-4 times a year and use Shell 87 gas.

Most people have always thought that I was full of it when I'd tell them how good on gas this car is - but even I'm impressed with the actual mileage since I didn't think it would be THAT good. While the engine size is formidable, the car is really quite light, all things considered (and my fully loaded GT is the heaviest of them all, save for the ragtop GT).

I just thought I'd share this with everyone for some feedback and to get others to share their gas mileage stories as well.

Cheers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow.... I almost don't believe it. When the tank got low, you filled up again and divided your miles by the amount of gas it took to fill it up or what? Maybe it's the 2.73 gears? My mustang came with 3.27s and I got about 25.5 mpg highway when I really tried to make the gas last, so I guess I can maybe believe that... I don't know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I clocked 365.3 miles on 12.55 US gallons, which works out to 29.1 miles per US gallon. I filled up right to the top, drove until almost empty, and then filled up right to the top again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I clocked 365.3 miles on 12.55 US gallons, which works out to 29.1 miles per US gallon. I filled up right to the top, drove until almost empty, and then filled up right to the top again.
Simply awesome.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Last week I got 30.4 at 70mph with the tires at 25PSI and the windows down. That was over a 234 mile trip.
With an electric fan, power steering delete, higher tire pressure, windows up, and a 3 inch front drop I'm shooting for 35+.... and shooting for 300+hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I drove my car from IL to CA and I got about 24 mpg...However, my city mpg sucks. My last tank I got about 13 mpg. I don't understand why in city mileage is so bad????:hihi:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Cruising doesn't take any fuel... In town accelerating constantly a 5.0 can really drink the gas... I get 30.4 highway and 12 city.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i get 18 mpg:yup: around town with stock motor no ac no smog electric fan 3 55 gears and a t5

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear from everyone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts