Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just tried the first start up after a gt40p swap and somethings wrong. most of the time it wont start it will just fire a time or two and die/nothing at all. when it does start and idle it sounds.... not right. when i press the gas to rev the engine the rpm stays about the same and it stumbles, at times when the rpms climb a bit it pops. everything is hooked back up and the only thing i can think of is the distributor might be 180 degrees off maybe... but would it even run then?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i should mention i dont really know anything about timing but, before removing the dist i turned the engine until i felt air coming out #1 cylinder then used a screw driver to feel the piston and thats how i found what i think is tdc. i then mark the base of the dist and the block and the inside of the dist where the rotor was pointing. when i was putting the dist back in i found what i think is tdc the same way then made sure all lines matched up in/on the dist.

but after reading around on the internet it seems as if i messed up because it has that "running on 3 cylinders" sound

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i was gonna delete this thread but dont see anywhere to do it.... anyway i got impatient again and was gonna start stabbin the dist in different spots and the first spot i tried it runs like a champ.... i went one "tooth" behind my mark on the inside

·
Registered
460 Posts
i would check you compression in all of your cylinders i had the same problem back in the day when i did a GT40 head swap and figured out that i had 2 valves that were not seating to the heads correct. Also check your firing order make sure that is correct. if the timing was 180 backwards it would fire on some but would not run. hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.