Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up people ! I'm a new addition to this community and i was hoping that i could get some help from fellow mustang lovers on some performance advice for my "01" 3.8 mustang. I wanted some ideas from beginning to end or a step by step process that i can take to get my car running strong. Please get back to me.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
mustangmal said:
what's up people ! I'm a new addition to this community and i was hoping that i could get some help from fellow mustang lovers on some performance advice for my "01" 3.8 mustang. I wanted some ideas from beginning to end or a step by step process that i can take to get my car running strong. Please get back to me.
before anyone can give you a step by step process, we're need to know what your goals are, what you're willing to spend.

Goals and budget are always a necessity.

that said, before you do any build, you need to take care of your foundation, so you really should get a set of subframe connectors and a GT rear sway bar.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, those are a must.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am aiming at upgrading my speed performance, external look , and car life. this was the car i always dreamed of and i want to keep it around for a while. I am willing to put as much as $ 5,000 in to it but if i go over its cool. I can't do i all at once but i will do it in a process, I 'll put 4-500 dollars every two weeks to invest in the car. I want to have some good results by the middle of the summer.

kscoyote said:
before anyone can give you a step by step process, we're need to know what your goals are, what you're willing to spend.

Goals and budget are always a necessity.

that said, before you do any build, you need to take care of your foundation, so you really should get a set of subframe connectors and a GT rear sway bar.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, those are a must.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
For $5000, save for 14 weeks and pick up an ATI Procharger.

Then swap to a GT or Cobra Rear, and with any left over, pick up headers, dual exhaust and a P-M universal MAF. Be sure to do the subframe connectors, and rear sway bar.

you'll be set.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
kscoyote said:
For $5000, save for 14 weeks and pick up an ATI Procharger.

Then swap to a GT or Cobra Rear, and with any left over, pick up headers, dual exhaust and a P-M universal MAF. Be sure to do the subframe connectors, and rear sway bar.

you'll be set.
are you sure supercharging is the best idea? you know he did mention that he wants car life. what about doing engine work? it's not as expensive and it can do some damage in the HP column.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
tex117 said:
are you sure supercharging is the best idea? you know he did mention that he wants car life. what about doing engine work? it's not as expensive and it can do some damage in the HP column.
A properly installed SC unit will not affect engine life very much at all.

It depends on how much you abuse it, and if you drive in an aggresive manner, it will affect the engine life of a NA engine.

Secondly, Pinto's list assumes you do almost all of the work yourself. If you're asking what to do, installing an SC unit will be easier than installing a cam, valve springs, etc.

Lastly, the total of 3785 is for a 94-8, pulleys, CAi etc cost more for a 1999+. Installation of an ATI CAN be done by a novice, and costs 3200 for an HO unit.

If you've got the cash, but don't know how to get there, and SC unit is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I never said pinto's way was easier, I'm just saying that the HP to dollar raitio was in its favor. If this guy doesn't want to do alot of work, supercharge it; but I'm just throwing other options on the table

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
also $3700 was to build a 12 second car. a supercharger alone wont get you that fast. if you subtract the nitrous (which I wouldn't recommend for this guy) it gets alot cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.