Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I saw this kit while researching possible ways to upgrade my front brakes.
2261026 MUSTANG BAER ERADISPEED-PLUS-TWO 14" FRONT ROTOR UPGRADE GT / V6 2005-20
It's a Baer kit that increases front disc diameter to 14" but retains the stock calipers. I was wondering if I would see much of a performance benefit going with this and new pads versus just new pads. Basically, is it worth the money over just a standard 12.6" diameter aftermarket vented/slotted rotor?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
203 Posts
i dont think it is worth it! if you want brake performance get you some Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines and some better brake pads! it cost much less! it gives you better brake pedal feel and better stopping power and so on. if you are still not happy then you may wanna switch to the brembo package!
in the AMA superbike championship there using STOCK brake calipers with stainless lines and different pads! and those guys are pro's!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Even with a bigger rotor and stock caliper, i can't see it biting more on the rotor itself. It would be better to upgrade the rotors or rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Scoot: there was a discussion here sometime back about using the 11 14" GT rotors. This kit looks cool, but I doubt you'd gain much. As mentioned, a fluid and pad change along with the stainless lines would be a better move. Also remember the RIGHT tires will be about your biggest improvement to breaking, depending on what you are trying to do......best regards Plum

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Baer also makes this 14" rotor kit for the rear.

Yes, we had a big go-round about increasing rotor size and whether it helps stopping performance or not.

Any increase in the radius of the rotor will increase brake torque but since these rotors are drilled and slotted you give up some surface friction area so it is probably a trade off.

The other good thing about the Baer rotors is that they have aluminum hats so they will be lighter than the stock full iron rotors.

Probably the big benefit of these rotors is the looks, they will fill the inside of the wheels plus the drill holes and slots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scoot: there was a discussion here sometime back about using the 11 14" GT rotors. This kit looks cool, but I doubt you'd gain much. As mentioned, a fluid and pad change along with the stainless lines would be a better move. Also remember the RIGHT tires will be about your biggest improvement to breaking, depending on what you are trying to do......best regards Plum
That's about what I figured. I don't really want to shell out $1500 for a big brake kit, so I was looking for a more reasonable solution. I have goodridge ss brake lines and hawk pads on my list, but wondered if this would provide further improvement.

Scott

·
Registered
510 Posts
You know, in the mountain biking world increasing rotor size can make a HUGE difference in stopping power. But of course, this isn't the mountain bike world. Subscribing.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I asked Baer and here's what they wrote back:

Hello Curtis, The forums are not always the best place for info. We do offer a larger front and rear rotor for the 05 and newer mustangs. The do improve the stopping performance and the looks of the car. With the larger 14" rotors you will move the caliper up and gain leverage on the brakes. At low speed cruising around town or shows you will not see any improvement in stopping. But when you do take them on track or stopping the car from high speeds then you will see and feel the stopping power.

If you have any questions please give me a call.

Bill Koppinger
Baer Brakes Inc
602-233-1411 ext 7012
So, as I said, increasing the rotor diameter increases brake torque.

J

·
0 Posts
I asked Baer and here's what they wrote back:

So, as I said, increasing the rotor diameter increases brake torque.
Very true, Ltngdrvr is usually right.
Daily driving your stopping distances won't change much at all, track use is where this set up will help, resisting fade much better too. Better synthetic fluid with a higher boil off temp/ braided lines/ better pads/ drilled & slotted rotors all help. With modern abs systems though the traction from your tires is the biggest determining factor in stopping distances.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've read in other places that in some applications, Hi-Po/track-intended rotors could actually be detrimental to a street-driven vehicle, if not simply a waste of money. It seems to me (based upon researching forums and manufacturers) that unless you're gonna be tracking your car non-stop on a circuit course of sorts for extended periods of time, you'd just be wasting your hard-eraned cash for eye candy. I've been told that these are not even necessary if you're doing up to 5 runs a day at autocross meets, as you're barely out there for a minute and a half per run, and not going incredibly fast either.

Most drag tracks are only going to allow you three 1/4 mile jaunts for the day (out here anyway), so again, it's not like you're testing the limits of your stock brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts