Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've followed several threads on Granatelli's CAI. Seems like 50% of us hate Granatelli and 50% of us love them. I thought it was time for a more moderate viewpoint. Below is a review of this CAI by a guy with no prior experience with Granatelli, no serious performance aspirations, and no racing experience. I'm no mechanic either, just basic tool-using skills.

Why I chose Granatelli...
I'm afraid of tuners; I'm afraid of warranty hassles; I'm afraid of spending money. Guess I'm just afraid. So I've reviewed all the 'tuneless' CAIs on the market. Granatelli spoke to me because its not really tuneless - it provides a recalibrated MAF sensor that alows the engine to properly match fuel to the new higher air flow, using the stock tune. This just makes more sense than restricting the air tube so that the flow matches factory specs as in other tuneless CAIs. If the numbers bear out, there is some good bang-for-the-buck in this unit. Granatelli's site reports a 25rwhp increase with the CAI. Independent dynos have seen 18-20rwhp. Even if I only get 18rwhp for $300, I call that a good deal.

I also like the fact that there is a one-for-one swap between old and new, no sharing of MAF or other parts. This allows for swapping the old one back in in a matter of minutes if you get freaked out by warranty hassles.

Finally, the throttle lag, torque nanny, and rev-limiter didn't really bother me before, so there wasn't much point in getting a tuner at this time.

Out-of-the-Box...
Several reports of missing or broken parts being received in this kit have circulated around this and other forums. From the look of my package, Granatelli seems to have learned a lesson from this. The parts were shipped in a large cardboard box which was entirely encased in shrink wrap. Inside, the parts were floating in a sea of foam packing 'peanuts'. The MAF electronics, already mounted in the air tube, were wrapped twice with bubble wrap and then the entire tube was wrapped with more shrink wrap. The small parts (wiring harness, clamps, and tubes) and instructions were in compartments in a heat-sealed plastic bag.

No broken or missing parts. I had been prepared for the worst, so I was very pleased with the packaging.

Into my GT...
The installation of this unit is incredibly simple. because the MAF sesnor is already included, there is no disassembly of the factory intake, you simply remove it as a single unit by removing the 10mm bolt holding the air-box to the fender and the clamp holding the air-tube to the throttle body. Reverse the procedure with the new parts and you're done. Entire install time was under 30 minutes.

Although the unit goes in easy, there is one big wart. As reported in previous threads, the filter does not clear the ABS lines. I knew about this defect before buying, however I can easily see why someone who did not expect it would be seriously ticked off about it. The Granatelli-provided workaround, which is to gently bend the offending ABS line out of the way, does not inspire much confidence.

I did bend the line as much as I was willing to risk. The filter went in fine but did rub slightly against the line. I was worried about the filter abraiding the line and the line abraiding the filter, so I split about 2" of 3/8"ID rubber tubing and created a 'sleeve' for the line. Problem solved.

And onto the Road...
After reconnecting the negative battery terminal, I fired 'er up. No problem, no hard-starting, no unusual idling, and no CELs.

Just a gratifying new 'whooshing' sound as the mighty 4.6 breathed freely for the first time since being built. With the hood closed, the sound quieted, in fact, the level of noise coming from the engine itself seems noticeably lower. I love this new 'feature', beacuse there is less to interfere with the rumble of the Borlas.

I don't have scientific numbers, just the old Butt-dyno, but the smile of that first test drive is still on my face. I got the car out on some open road and wound it out to 6k rpm in the first couple gears. Yup, a definate, noticeable, improvement in giddyup, no doubt about it. That plus the terrific new sound makes this a $300 well-spent.

In Conclusion...
This CAI is not for everyone. If your a serious performance enthusiast or if you simply can't stand the throttle lag, or the torque/rev limiters, you're going to want the extra control of a CAI + tuner combo. On the other hand, if you just want to pick up some quick hp with little effort - this might just do it for you. I think this unit plus any excellent exhaust system is a terrific combo for the Mustang owner who is looking to keep things pretty stock.

As usual - your results may vary. Happy driving!

·
Registered
75 Posts
intake

I installed mine last friday. Mine also was boxed really well. I also did not want to mess with a tune and i coverd the brake line the same way. I slipped with the screw driver and tore a small hole in the rubber sleve (my falt) i called them up and told them the truth and i had a new one oo charge on monday. The car really came alive it pulls realy hard and performs better then i ever thaught what a difference. The tires brake loose from a 5-6 mph roll>.When i hit 2nd gear the break loose the car responds from 2500 to 5000 rpm really well. A lot of bang for the buck Hats off to a great product. Barry

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just be sure you don't drive a Mustang with an aftermarket tune, especially a Bamatune. That way you won't know what you're missing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just finished with the dyno test this morning. I have a 2006 GT 5 speed with no mods other than a Hurst Shifter. The elevation here in Boise, Idaho is 2850 ft. and the temp was 54 degrees. The dyno used was a Mustang MD250. The HP increase was 21.3 and the torque was up 13.3 ft-lbs. Also, the HP peak moved up from 5000 rpm to 5500 rpm. There were many positive comments about the look of the polished intake and the ease with which you could attain these gains. The advantage of this system for me, is the ability to still run Chevron (not the local no name cheapo stuff) 87 octane and not mess with the ECU programming. The polished intake is very impressive!

·
Registered
314 Posts
As I have stated in previous posts, I also like the system. The ABS conflict displays poor engineering, in my opinion. Granatelli's complete lack of concern (I have never been contacted about this issue, after phone calls, faxes, emails) other than the one call to bend the ABS lines. My personal letter to JR Granatelli from August remains unanswered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kd05gt said:
As I have stated in previous posts, I also like the system. The ABS conflict displays poor engineering, in my opinion. Granatelli's complete lack of concern (I have never been contacted about this issue, after phone calls, faxes, emails) other than the one call to bend the ABS lines. My personal letter to JR Granatelli from August remains unanswered.
my first post after being a long time reader ....im seriously considering buying an 05 Stang and just like reading about the mods...i see 50/50 reviews like everyone else seems to think. i understand your mad about someone not returning your calls but dude your on every post for his cai crying about some minute issue which the author of this post fixed with common sense in probably 5 mins. Im sure i could find numerous other ways to solve the issue as well. i just think your a little too butthurt and seems like you concentrate all your efforts on the lil problem ..i havent heard one thing from you stating how well the system works if it does at all ???and all you people wonder how the pot gets stirred up ?? one guy crys about filters and abs lines ..and whamm! Never buy a Granatelli Cai! ..sorry buddy long day and needed to vent to someone ..Lucky you !:smirk

·
Registered
314 Posts
281cisohc said:
my first post after being a long time reader ....im seriously considering buying an 05 Stang and just like reading about the mods...i see 50/50 reviews like everyone else seems to think. i understand your mad about someone not returning your calls but dude your on every post for his cai crying about some minute issue which the author of this post fixed with common sense in probably 5 mins. Im sure i could find numerous other ways to solve the issue as well. i just think your a little too butthurt and seems like you concentrate all your efforts on the lil problem ..i havent heard one thing from you stating how well the system works if it does at all ???and all you people wonder how the pot gets stirred up ?? one guy crys about filters and abs lines ..and whamm! Never buy a Granatelli Cai! ..sorry buddy long day and needed to vent to someone ..Lucky you !:smirk
I don't think you have read all the posts. I have stated that I like the system. I have also stated that I hate pathetic customer service. One of the benefits of this forum is to let others know what we have experienced while dealing with vendors. That is my reason for posting my comments. I also know that Granatelli reps monitor these forums, and I think their lack of input speaks for itself. You are entitled to your opinions, as I am mine. I have long days too...

·
Registered
75 Posts
customer service

I disgree i had to call them 4times during the install. They helped me every time i stated sorry i have so many questions they said thats what where here for. There are a lot of aftermarket parts we have to make adjustments for a little rubber on the line really works. I also went from 24.2 mpg to 27.3 with cc at 70mph for 30 miles the same i do dailyot the way to work. One more note I heard the exhaust tone changed with the intake so i left a v.m. for J.R. and he called me back at work to discuss the issue with me buy the way it did not change except for the roar the intake makes. Hats off to J.R. for a great intake where can you get 20ish h.p. for 300 bucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK, so I'm anal. At the very least, those of us who bought the current version should be entitled to a trade-in for the redesigned version...?

I do appreciate finally getting a reply, even though the fix should not be necessary. Like I said, anal.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts