Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 66 mustang convertible it was just painted 2 months ago, i didnt notice untill 2day that the driver door vin plate is missing, i was told that the plate was with the left over old parts but its gone, i searched high and low its gone, can i order a new 1 or is there a person or company that makes them, any info will help!! thanks all!!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Many Mustang parts companies sell reproductions of it. In fact, I just did a search at Mustangs Unlimited. They sell both blank 66 dataplates, and they sell 66 dataplates where you send them all the information and they stamp it for you. If you go to Mustangs Unlimited's website it is part #DT66 for the stamped dataplate. They also sell reproductions of the original rivets.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You were worrying needlessly!!!!
The door tag is not used for titleing or registration puposes. As a matter of fact, it's printed and states that right on the door tag. The ONLY thing that is legal for titleing and registraton is the VIN number, found on the top lip of the inside fender apron. The VIN is visible on the front inside fender apron on the driver's side, it's hidden under the fender lip on the top lip of the rear inner fender apron on the passenger's side.
Many people that modify their Mustangs have door tags made up to reflect what's in the car NOW. The only way to check whether the door tag is real or "updated" is the Marti report, which will enable you to compare how the car was equipped at production with what you have in it now.
Let's not get into the "ethics" and "morals" of stating that an "updated" door tag is the original!
LOL.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You were worrying needlessly!!!!
The door tag is not used for titleing or registration puposes. As a matter of fact, it's printed and states that right on the door tag. The ONLY thing that is legal for titleing and registraton is the VIN number, found on the top lip of the inside fender apron. The VIN is visible on the front inside fender apron on the driver's side, it's hidden under the fender lip on the top lip of the rear inner fender apron on the passenger's side.
I am sooo glad that my car has always had its title. They replaced the driver inner fender and they didn't restamp the VIN.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have all the information written down and backed up on my computer. That and receipts from the previous owner stating that they had the inner fender replaced. I am working on getting a stamp set so we can go and get the car restamped. I am pretty sure the VIN is still on the passender side rear inner fender. I know everything from the front inner fenders up was replaced following an accident in the late 80s. I have to take the fender off anyway to stop the leak at the bottom of the windshield anyway so I'll take a look. Those are this weekends plans--take the passenger fender off, stop the windshield leak, and re-ring the engine. I know, busy weekend. But hopefully it will make my car much better in the form of water resistance and the reliability and functionality of my engine, especially with its inspection in a month. And for those who I know will, I am not putting my car on classic plates, because I can only drive so often, so I spend 20 dollars on inspection every year, but that means I get to drive my pride & joy whenever and as long as I want.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Good luck with it my 68 the door tag said its a 67 and the two vins under the hood on mine was different i went with the 68 one.But i did restamp the vin on the driver side so it matchs.My door plate i guessed on most of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.