Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 V6 Manual
Recently took a long road trip down to my sisters wedding, before I came back I had to fill up and like always I reset the avg. MPG. the next day before I went to work started up the car and decided hech I should check my avg. from that trip, it was at 35.6 mpg, but by the idle time it took for me to get camera it dropped. whats the best mpg you have gotten?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Not exactly V6 numbers, but my wife's GT got 28.7 mpg once on a trip and mine got 27.9 mpg on a similar trip.

slorydn1's Profile | Fuelly

I'm very happy with the highway economy of my cars :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I get 24-25 on trips from Mobile to Birmingham (250 miles) at 80-90 in my 5-speed GT. When I slow it down to about 65, I get 27-28.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Busted 30 mpg on the highway on my bloat load 3.73 BBP '12 GT, regularly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can get that in my 07 GT as well, hence why I don't really understand the market for V6s and ecoboosts and the like. Sure they can't get a little better than that, but not by all that much. Why water down the car for those 2 mpg or so?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ghost, that is impressive. I follow this buddy on Mustang Evolution (UltArc) that has gone to extremes in his V6. It's amazing what mpg you can get out of a reasonably heavy/powerful car.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage.php?do=details&vehicleid=6431

K, for me it wasn't the gas cost that made me choose the V6. It was the $5000 (or more) that Ford charges for the V8.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've been averaging 22 mpg in my GT with mixed city/highway driving. :)

I used to average 23 mpg with my V6 in the same context. dissapointed.gif

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghost, that is impressive. I follow this buddy on Mustang Evolution (UltArc) that has gone to extremes in his V6. It's amazing what mpg you can get out of a reasonably heavy/powerful car.

Details: 2012 Mustang 3.7/M - 2012 Ford Mustang 3.7 Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com

K, for me it wasn't the gas cost that made me choose the V6. It was the $5000 (or more) that Ford charges for the V8.
I wonder if those spliters help that he has. seen he got 40+mpg that's awesome, I too bought a v6 because the 10k difference in price on the way I wanted it. don't mind the 305hp its ok for me.

my weekly average is around 26-29mpg depending on the weekly drive. I need to get back into the ecomodders page again, had a 350hp fwd cobalt ss getting 38-42mpg on premium.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had a high of 32.5 mpg in my 440HP Roush, that was running 55 mph, and wont ever happen again. I normally run 70-75 on the interstate and see 27-28 mpg. My normal commute is 23-24 mpg in Atlanta traffic, and mostly highway, those last numbers are calculated. Although the mpg on the dash is fairly accurate in my car it is difficult to really get good accurate numbers without the actual calculation. I am going to assume that your trip was somewhat short as the mpg should not have dropped in the driveway that quick. All that being said, these Coyote motors are very impressive. Great power and incredible mileage for pushing a brick through the air. Stated earlier was Vette getting great mpg, aerodynamics, excellent gearing go a long way!

There are so many varieties of Mustangs because there are so many tastes and reasons for buying. Whatever one you own, enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I had a high of 32.5 mpg in my 440HP Roush, that was running 55 mph, and wont ever happen again. I normally run 70-75 on the interstate and see 27-28 mpg. My normal commute is 23-24 mpg in Atlanta traffic, and mostly highway, those last numbers are calculated. Although the mpg on the dash is fairly accurate in my car it is difficult to really get good accurate numbers without the actual calculation. I am going to assume that your trip was somewhat short as the mpg should not have dropped in the driveway that quick. All that being said, these Coyote motors are very impressive. Great power and incredible mileage for pushing a brick through the air. Stated earlier was Vette getting great mpg, aerodynamics, excellent gearing go a long way!

There are so many varieties of Mustangs because there are so many tastes and reasons for buying. Whatever one you own, enjoy it!
Well said :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

nice, that's impressive for that vehicle. yea my trip was around 150 miles, still ended up with a 32mpg at the next fill up. I live off a road that's 55mph and take it to a highway and I stay about 70, but my work commute is only 17 miles. that trip the way back I was drafting my moms impala with my brother behind me driving my grandparents chevy mid size suv. might have helped but we were doing 80 mph

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have no idea how you guys are getting those numbers. Granted I don't drive freeway often, but I usually average 15-16. The highest I've seen is 18, but I tend to use the speed limit as a suggestion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can get that in my 07 GT as well, hence why I don't really understand the market for V6s and ecoboosts and the like. Sure they can't get a little better than that, but not by all that much. Why water down the car for those 2 mpg or so?
When buying brand new it was the price difference that sold me on the V6. To get all the options I wanted on a GT would have ran me 5 grand more than what I paid. I could have gotten a base GT for a grand more than I paid for my V6 with premium package, and comfort package. I wanted those on my car. And 300 HP is enough to make the car really fun to drive.

The gas mileage played a small roll as did the insurance. But mostly it was the price difference.

If I were going to buy used the GT would be more affordable. I am sure this is where the market comes from for the V6 and the ecoboost. It isn't all just for the gas mileage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well said :bigthumbsup
Being on the Corvette forums for years, Corvettes are noted by all for having great gas mileage. The LS1 is a larger displacement engine with HUGE low end torque. I would cruise at 70-75 mph and be turning 1100 -1200 rpms with the 3.43 gearset and 6 speed manual trans.

The Coyote/Roadrunner just doesn't work that way, they have to spin to make power, that uses gas. And as stated the C-5 Corvette was a very slick car aerodynamically. Great "economy" car but the build quality of those premium GM cars will get you sick, Cavalier quality, with a Cadillac price. My Mustang is 5 times better built than the Corvette, and it is relatively speaking a less expensive car.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Being on the Corvette forums for years, Corvettes are noted by all for having great gas mileage. The LS1 is a larger displacement engine with HUGE low end torque. I would cruise at 70-75 mph and be turning 1100 -1200 rpms with the 3.43 gearset and 6 speed manual trans.

The Coyote/Roadrunner just doesn't work that way, they have to spin to make power, that uses gas. And as stated the C-5 Corvette was a very slick car aerodynamically. Great "economy" car but the build quality of those premium GM cars will get you sick, Cavalier quality, with a Cadillac price. My Mustang is 5 times better built than the Corvette, and it is relatively speaking a less expensive car.
I'm in total agreement about the mileage although I am shocked to read that Corvettes are not that well built. I wouldn't know, I haven't been in one since my older brother had a new 1984 Corvette when I was 15. I figured with them being practically hand built in Bowling Green that they would have been of higher quality than a garden variety GM offering-guess I figured wrong.

I guess it has always been that way with GM vs Ford engines when it comes to brute, low end torque, and never more so since Ford went the OHC route with the modular V8's back in the early 90's.

I remember that my dads 86 Caprice Classic (305 4bbl Rochester carb) seemed like it snapped my neck more out of the hole than my buddy's 89 LX 5.0, even though he had both a huge weight advantage and 60 more horsepower. I'm sure the stopwatch would have told a much different tale than my butt dyno, but the feeling was there.

I do know that my other buddy's 87 Trans-AM (305 also) did beat my friends 5.0 to the top of first gear and a good bit through 2nd before the Mustang came roaring back past at about the point the TA was hitting 3rd (several runs at the strip, good fun back in the day, I need to get back to doing that).

What I love about our current Coyotes is that what we give up at the low end of the power band we get back in spades at the middle to top of the rpm range, and I am sure its even more of a hoot in your Boss :worship

Yet, even for all of that, we still get decent gas mileage if we drive them like normal human beings, even though we are pushing bricks through the air (relatively speaking when compared to a more areodynamic Corvette).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was surprised that last time I got in a corvette how caviler it felt. the damn steering wheel was the same as my cobalt's lol. so far my moms 14 impala seems to be very well built compared to last one, it has to very serious recalls now. glad I switched to ford, but yet I'm pissed about the paint they wont fix.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm in total agreement about the mileage although I am shocked to read that Corvettes are not that well built. I wouldn't know, I haven't been in one since my older brother had a new 1984 Corvette when I was 15. I figured with them being practically hand built in Bowling Green that they would have been of higher quality than a garden variety GM offering-guess I figured wrong.

I guess it has always been that way with GM vs Ford engines when it comes to brute, low end torque, and never more so since Ford went the OHC route with the modular V8's back in the early 90's.

I remember that my dads 86 Caprice Classic (305 4bbl Rochester carb) seemed like it snapped my neck more out of the hole than my buddy's 89 LX 5.0, even though he had both a huge weight advantage and 60 more horsepower. I'm sure the stopwatch would have told a much different tale than my butt dyno, but the feeling was there.

I do know that my other buddy's 87 Trans-AM (305 also) did beat my friends 5.0 to the top of first gear and a good bit through 2nd before the Mustang came roaring back past at about the point the TA was hitting 3rd (several runs at the strip, good fun back in the day, I need to get back to doing that).

What I love about our current Coyotes is that what we give up at the low end of the power band we get back in spades at the middle to top of the rpm range, and I am sure its even more of a hoot in your Boss :worship

Yet, even for all of that, we still get decent gas mileage if we drive them like normal human beings, even though we are pushing bricks through the air (relatively speaking when compared to a more areodynamic Corvette).
You make me LAUGH! I smoked a 305 Trans Am back in the day with my '87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, it was hysterical when he rolled up for another go and I flipped him 4 fingers to show he was bested by a 4 banger. I took 5.0's of the day with it too, that engine put down some power and was pretty durable for eating 21lbs boost! I got 220K miles on one before selling it!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a C-5 (2004) Corvette, it was truly a performance bargain (bought used), but I had a myriad of quality problems, leaking roof seals, turn signals filling with water, noisy window seal drivers door (my cousins '02 did it too) delaminating vinyl on door panels, the fiberglass on my hatch raised up and you could see fiber, column lock failure, and I'm just getting started...........................................I had an '04 Mustang GT my wife drove at the time, it was faultless like my current ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts