Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok- I just got an aftermarket tach and have no idea how or where to hook it up- I have a distributor setup with electronic coil- I am also needing a new alternator- what amp rating is suggested for a 289 with AOD and no accessories except cd player. Should I replace alternator harness as well? Any replies appreciated-
Thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) My car has an 80 amp alternator, and the it has A/C and a cd player. The 80 amp is easily able to keep up with that. When replacing the alternator, it is always a good idea to replace the harness and the voltage regulator while you're at it. They're both cheap, and it certainly can't hurt anything. :)

As far as the tach goes, if you could mention who it was that made that tach, this would help, but, normally, there will be a wire that supplies power to the light, a ground wire, a wire that goes to either the hot side of the coil or the tach adaptor, depending, and a wire that supplies power to the tach. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good info- I have only been able to locate an alternator with an amp rating of 65 locally, but will continue to look for one higher. As far as the tach goes, the instructions included were for a coil-on-plug setup, not an engine with distributor. A quick phone call to manufacturer and I was all set.
Thanks again-:bigthumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.