Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked one up from AM last week. I have the directions to installing the Roush Rear Valance, and expect it to be pretty much the same.

How difficult of an installation is this for one person. I have all the tools required to do it. Are there any gotcha's to watch out for before I install. I'd like to get it right the first time.

The rear valance I have came with 2 w-clip push pins already installed. so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

If you have done this before, let me know if one person can do it or if I'm better off just spending the money to have a pro install it.
I've installed my barton short throw shifter, hood spears, CAI, and a few other things by myself, so I'd assume I could tackle this as well.
Can't wait to get it installed

·
Registered
373 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I've heard of people on this forum installing it with an army of one and that the GT500 is easier to install by one's self than the Roush. I will be in the same boat once I decide on which valance I want.

What made you choose the GT500?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how it goes. I've heard of people on this forum installing it with an army of one and that the GT500 is easier to install by one's self than the Roush. I will be in the same boat once I decide on which valance I want.

What made you choose the GT500?

To me the Roush Rear valance is boxy, This one has some curves and better shaping in my opinion, not only do I like it more, it is also cheaper.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
You will need 2 extra 3/8 push pins for the 2 supports that are sticking out of it.
I did mine by myself and it was not hard, just lay a blanket or something down to drop the bumper down on and work on it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Completed with pics - Front Stillen chin spoiler, rear gt500/CS valance.

Stillen I've had installed for a while, took about 2.5 hours to complete the gt500 valance, Push pin remover is a huge bonus to have.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing is now I need to sell my stock v6 mustang mud flaps as they will not fit this valance. Fairly new - they are about 50$.
If anyone wants to take them off my hand make a reasonable offer if interested. Thought I could help someone out here.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Man that is basically the same setup I'm goin to install on my sterling grey stang this october lol. That thing looks awesome bro!:bigthumbsup I can't wait to get my hands on those parts.

The GT500 rear valence was a bi#$! to install huh since you basically had to remove both the tail lights and rear bumper. Did you just follow the install from the roush rear valence on the 3.7performance website?

Where do you guys get that black pony emblem? Or did you just paint that on yourself?

Whats' next your your exterior mods list? You should consider the GT500 spoiler to complete the look and get that valence and chin spoiler painted:bigthumbsup. Is that also the Stillen chin spoiler that you ordered from the Stillen rep? Man its great to see what other sterling grey '11 stangs look like out there, its seems its hard to find alot of ppl with our color with any mods.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sterling greys UNITE!!! =) Best damn colour out there. Not like I am biased or anything... :winks

Anyhow, I am liking the setup I see. I was going to go with the stillen if I was going to keep my V6 front end instead of going down the GT/CS route. Now that I've seen your pics, I realy want to preserve my MCA front and stillen it is! =) If I go with the GT500 rear, my car will look almost like yours!

Tell me more about your stillen. Feel free to put it into another thread to keep this on topic. I know I won't be the only one out there who wants to hear from you about it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol fully agreeing w/ ya there brah:bigthumbsup

But if you search for this Stillen forum member or the Stillen chin spoiler thread there's a Stillen rep that sells the chin spoiler to allfordmustang members with a good discount.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man that is basically the same setup I'm goin to install on my sterling grey stang this october lol. That thing looks awesome bro!:bigthumbsup I can't wait to get my hands on those parts.

The GT500 rear valence was a bi#$! to install huh since you basically had to remove both the tail lights and rear bumper. Did you just follow the install from the roush rear valence on the 3.7performance website?

Where do you guys get that black pony emblem? Or did you just paint that on yourself?

Whats' next your your exterior mods list? You should consider the GT500 spoiler to complete the look and get that valence and chin spoiler painted:bigthumbsup. Is that also the Stillen chin spoiler that you ordered from the Stillen rep? Man its great to see what other sterling grey '11 stangs look like out there, its seems its hard to find alot of ppl with our color with any mods.
Wasn't near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Pin removal tool is a must.

Parts needed
Good socket wrench with 11mm nut remover
Push pin remover

1.Tail lights have 3 11mm hex nuts that easily come off
2. 1 wire connection per tail light
3. 1 wire connection for the trunk light
4. Their is another write connection that snaps off as well, I forgot what that one is used for, once the bumper is about to come off I noticed I needed to snap that one off too
5.Trunk lid comes off with 2 plastic nut twisties and two push pins
6. Remove the 3 screws from each wheel well holding the bumper
slightly pull outward the bumper, starting on the right side, then you can pull out the tail lights. Repeat the steps on the left, and then pull on the center, Bumper is off.
7. Once the bumper is off there are 4 total screws to remove the bumper from the valance, and a billion little push pins to remove including the attached wiring on push pins.
8. The bumper separates with a little elbow grease in the center
9. I did the removal in my garage @ home with 2 fans going. I'm in Texas so it's muggy and hot as hell. Once I got the bumper off, I did the rest of the bumper to valance removal/install in my front yard on an old bed sheet.

A good write up is the Roush Rear Valance Installation -
http://store.roushperformance.com/images/manuals/420009_manual.pdf

·
Registered
373 Posts
lol fully agreeing w/ ya there brah:bigthumbsup

But if you search for this Stillen forum member or the Stillen chin spoiler thread there's a Stillen rep that sells the chin spoiler to allfordmustang members with a good discount.
I did ask the stillen forum rep and the 'discounted' price I was quoted was the same price on their website. I pointed this out to him and never heard back...

Anyhow, Chad, sorry for the threadjack but can you tell me what your install for the stillen was like?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's fairly easy. It actually goes on top of the stock spoiler, you don't have to remove it at all.

I'd recommend fitting it first, you'll need a small stubby phillips head screw driver for the sides in the wheel well. Comes with lots of 3m tape already on the stillen chin spoiler, take your time as it's really sticky. Peel a little of the plastic covering of the tape off at a time during the install to get to the sticky stuff.

In regards to the discount. I don't know if they are doing it anymore or not, but I worked with James @ Stillen.

This is his work contact info. Should be able to hit him up on him as well, if not M-F at his office, I was able to get 20% off at the time.

[email protected]
888-366-0686 ext # 174

Hope that helps out.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's fairly easy. It actually goes on top of the stock spoiler, you don't have to remove it at all.

I'd recommend fitting it first, you'll need a small stubby phillips head screw driver for the sides in the wheel well. Comes with lots of 3m tape already on the stillen chin spoiler, take your time as it's really sticky. Peel a little of the plastic covering of the tape off at a time during the install to get to the sticky stuff.

In regards to the discount. I don't know if they are doing it anymore or not, but I worked with James @ Stillen.

This is his work contact info. Should be able to hit him up on him as well, if not M-F at his office, I was able to get 20% off at the time.

[email protected]
888-366-0686 ext # 174

Hope that helps out.

Thanks,

Chad
Forgot to mention there are a handful of screws that you screw in to the bottom of your bumper. You shouldn't need a lift or jack. I have a <small> lithium Ryobi that fit perfect underneath the car to screw in the self-tapping screws. Note, the 12v and 18v style of drill is too big to get under the car unless you use a jack/lift. small hand held is perfect.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey addison did you check the cervinis website? They too got some awesome chin spoilers for the '11-'12 6's. I might be buying one from them soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
wow found this old thread.
Chadhtx35 - where in TX are you at? I am going to install one of those diffusers this week. Where did you get those extra pushpins?

·
Registered
381 Posts
wow found this old thread.
Chadhtx35 - where in TX are you at? I am going to install one of those diffusers this week. Where did you get those extra pushpins?

I bought mine from the Dealer and it came with a few pins that are from the bottom. I broke the one my car had, luckly I the extra ones and got it sorted out.

I'm in Spring. If you need help installing it let me know. Send me a PM and we can talk.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Completed with pics - Front Stillen chin spoiler, rear gt500/CS valance.

Stillen I've had installed for a while, took about 2.5 hours to complete the gt500 valance, Push pin remover is a huge bonus to have.
Seriously, this is EXACTLY what I want to do with my car. Both front and back. It looks amazing on the sterling gray, but I bet it'll look pretty sick on my black pony! :cooldude:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry to threadjack again, but is the Stillen spoiler matte like the side rockers? I ask because all the pictures I have seen of it, it looks kinda glossy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Glossy but IMO still worth it.

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll346/regalt87_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN1121.jpg

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I... I... I... I want it NOW! Some one buy it for me. Please!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts