Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I notice is that they really pep up the car. I wants to be geared like this but it needs a 6th gear for freeway driving. If it did have another gear it would be close to perfect. I'm glad I didn't get the 4.10s, I think they would be too steep for someone who drives on the freeway regularly like I do. Plus, in first gear, my shift light comes on before I can even think to shift. I'll have to get used to that. I also now have to worry a little more about spinning my wheels in second gear. They do whine a bit so the car will be back in the shop this week to see if the specs held or if they can be tightened up. If the specs are still OK I may be asking Motive Gear for a new set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
who do the gears..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
savagess said:
who do the gears..
A local tranny/driveshaft/rear end place. It took 4 hours and $407. But he's backing up his work and reinstalling for no charge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
The OD doesn't help w/ that problem? I have an auto w/ 4.10's and the OD is the answer on the highway. You may want to go w/ the Ford gears if you have to reinstall. I had to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
5twenty said:
...Plus, in first gear, my shift light comes on before I can even think to shift. ...
What shift light? I don't have one. Is this part of the IUP option?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I had Motive 3.90 gears in my 05GT and it whined bad.

I had it removed and put in Ford 3.73 gears which didn't whine.

If anybody wants a barely used Motive 3.90 gears for $100 shipped anywhere in the continental USA, please let me know. There may be nothing wrong with the gears and it may work for you. I prefer PayPal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
5twenty said:
A local tranny/driveshaft/rear end place. It took 4 hours and $407. But he's backing up his work and reinstalling for no charge.
$400? Whoa!!! I was quoted $125. They've done quite a few gears for S197's though...and it's probably cheaper because it's with my local Mustang club's sponsor.

I was concerned about the whine that I've heard that many people are experiencing. Let me know if they are able to 'tighten' it up for you on your next visit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
the whine is from haveing the wrong pinion depth....i run motive 3.90 gears and they make no noise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
wayne94mustang said:
the whine is from haveing the wrong pinion depth....i run motive 3.90 gears and they make no noise
I've heard that people have had them shimmed with pretty good success. I obviously want to make sure mine are done right the first time so I don't have to take it back to get shimmed. 5twenty, was the whine evident right away, or did it take a few days?

Also, with your 3.90's...what RPM's are you running in 5th at around 80MPH?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,065 Posts
all of our cars have shift lights in them... look at your tach right below the 4k mark there is a little up arrow.

No the better question is... how did you get yours to work because just like the GTO.. ours are not activated from the factory for some reaoson?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cruehead said:
I've heard that people have had them shimmed with pretty good success. I obviously want to make sure mine are done right the first time so I don't have to take it back to get shimmed. 5twenty, was the whine evident right away, or did it take a few days?

Also, with your 3.90's...what RPM's are you running in 5th at around 80MPH?
You could hear it right away, first time out. Not sure about 80 MPH but 70 is at about 2500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cruehead said:
$400? Whoa!!! I was quoted $125. They've done quite a few gears for S197's though...and it's probably cheaper because it's with my local Mustang club's sponsor.

I was concerned about the whine that I've heard that many people are experiencing. Let me know if they are able to 'tighten' it up for you on your next visit.
I think it matters a lot where you live. I hear about these $125 and $200 quotes but I haven't been about to find anything under $400 up here. Mostly closer to $500. Its crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
GET a 6-Speed ! ! !

5twenty said:
The first thing I notice is that they really pep up the car. I wants to be geared like this but it needs a 6th gear for freeway driving. If it did have another gear it would be close to perfect. I'm glad I didn't get the 4.10s, I think they would be too steep for someone who drives on the freeway regularly like I do. Plus, in first gear, my shift light comes on before I can even think to shift. I'll have to get used to that. I also now have to worry a little more about spinning my wheels in second gear. They do whine a bit so the car will be back in the shop this week to see if the specs held or if they can be tightened up. If the specs are still OK I may be asking Motive Gear for a new set.
Hi 5twenty,

I can hear you loud and clear. With the 5-speed and stock 3.55 gears I can spin the tires in second and chip them nicely in third. However, the gear spacing is all wrong. First gear is too steep and short forcing a shift almost immediately, and some of those who popped in 4.10s complain that it becomes unliveable. Fifth gear is also geared too low for overdrive highway cruising if you are taking long trips and seeking to remove the hard edge of this Stang's fuel economy (I'm speaking of the GT, the V6 is great economy-wise in comparison).
:thumbdown

Ford must have designed this car with the automatic in mind. They then plunked in an el cheapo made in Mexico coffee grinding 5 speed with just about as bad gearing as you can get (did they even test it?!?) to keep costs to a minimum and gouge profit at the expense of the quality of our cars. The GT definitely needs a 6-speed. I am even thinking that the GT-500 with its 475hp will get better highway gas mileage due to the far better gearing of its six-speed. More power and less running costs sounds like the ticket if you can buy one.
:thumbup

So what I am looking at is plopping a proper 6-speed into my GT. It may save me the cost of swapping the 3.55s which isn't as bad a gearing as most here seem to believe. I honestly think that, apart from those who ache to shave seconds off their quarter mile track times, many here tinker with rear axle ratios in the hope of finding a cheap way of improving what turns out to be a very poorly designed transmission ratio. IMHO what the GT needs is a gearbox worthy of the car.
:madas:

/Vic
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top