Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just recently installed a new edelbrock 7182 cam into my 1969 351W, this is the first time installing a slightly agressive cam. I started it up and broke in according to the brake in instructions. After the brake in It was running alittle rougher than expected, slow to rev, and back firing at 4100 rpms. At first i adjusted the timing, also tried re-seating the distibutor thinking i installed it off but didnt help. I then thought that I installed the timing chain off by a tooth, but after I tore it down found it was right on the money. the only other thing that is coming to mind is that my valve springs are too weak for this cam causing valve float, seeing as they are the stock heads. any suggestions?

ENGINE: FORD 351W V8
RPM RANGE: 1500-6500

Duration at 0.006" Lift:Intake: 290°Exhaust: 300° Duration at 0.050" Lift:Intake: 224°Exhaust: 234° Lift at Cam:Intake: 0.310"Exhaust: 0.325" Lift at Valve:Intake: 0.496"Exhaust: 0.520"Timing at 0.050" lift:OpenCloseIntake:6° BTDC38° ABDCExhaust:51° BBDC3° ATDCCenterlines:Lobe Separation - 110°Intake Centerline - 106°

1966 Mustang Coupe,
Spec's -351W, Performer intake, 670 CFM Holley Street avenger Carb, underdrive Pulleys,MSD Ignition, Just put an Edelbrock 7182 cam kit in, stock heads for now -9 inch Versailles rear end w/ disk brakes W/ Trac lock -Heidt's Mustang II Front Suspension Kit, 1 inch lowered -T5 Conversion

·
Registered
730 Posts
Note: Screw-in studs and guideplates required.

CAUTION: Use Edelbrock Performer-Plus Timing Chain and Gear Set #7820 or Accu-Drive gear drive #7892. Do not use late model timing chain and gear sets that are designed for emission-controlled engines. These timing sets are machined in a retarded position and are not recommended for this camshaft installation. Edelbrock Timing Sets feature three keyways for specified timing selection

Do not use dual valve springs.Use only recommended Edelbrock Sure Seat Valve Springs #5722. Use stock ratio (1.6:1) rocker arms only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does any one know if the Ford Racing timing chain is compairable FMS-M-6268-A302 to the recommended edelbrock?, I only ask b/c my current one only has 2k miles on it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It does sound like that's too hot of a cam for the stock springs, especially if they're old. I wouldn't run the engine any more with those springs as you could smack your floating valves with your piston and have all sorts of problems.

As for the timing chain, every manufacturer is going to recommend you use only their stuff but as long as you have comparable stuff it should be fine. As long as the ford racing timing set has adjustably built into it and you've checked your cam with a degree wheel you should be okay.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you used stock parts on the heads then you are going to have to remove them, have them machined for screw-in studs and have the springs replaced with some that are rated for the cam. If you don't install screw-in studs the new springs will pull the stock studs out of the heads for you.
This is why I always recommend that when you buy a new cam - get the full kit - cam, lifters, springs, retainers and locks. Push rods may be a problem too - see if the manufacturer allows the use of stock or if you need stronger ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.