Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The install was not too difficult. It took a little over an hour. I did it by myself in the driveway. The hardest part was getting the stock exhaust out. Almost dropped one on my face so be careful!
They are definitely loud, but sound like a crotch rocket. It's nice having the sound feedback when I accelerate, but I definitely miss the sound of the 5.0 with flowmasters that I had.

·
Registered
381 Posts
no video, no care. :nono:

why are you borla guys posting threads with no video's.

congrats on the mod. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
no video, no care. :nono:

why are you borla guys posting threads with no video's.

congrats on the mod. :bigthumbsup
you people?! what do you mean YOU PEOPLE?! no WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE!? lol (tropic thunder if u didnt get it)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are already multiple videos on youtube and honestly they dont sound like they do online anyways.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yeah, I'd never want that sound. But I do hope you're happy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
you people?! what do you mean YOU PEOPLE?! no WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU PEOPLE!? lol (tropic thunder if u didnt get it)

there was another borla guy that did the same.

·
Registered
650 Posts
crotch rocket huh? that's a bit disappointing :nono:
I had a friend tell me the same.... but it was meant as a compliment in terms of loudness. Find a 1000 bike with staightpipes and the sound is nothing less than "holy s#&t." :yelpleased:

Also OP, remember that the exhaust doesn't necessary sound the same in the cabin as does outside the car. Most of the sound is going in the opposite direction, you are getting more of an echo, if that makes sense. Driving behind the car,... it sounds like alot deeper, and f'n louder.

But then again if you were expecting it to sound like a 5.0.... shoulda bought a 5.0 lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey no way, i was just going to make a thread about my installation :)

i put mine on today at my buddy's lexus dealership where hes a tech.. maybe took an hour, we debated for a while on getting it centered and at the correct length sticking out.

the hangers came out of the rubber holders without a problem. we unbolted the sway bar to get the stock muffler off the driver side.

with the borla's u have to break off the clamps from the stock exhaust.

we didnt use a torque wrench at all, just an air wrench at like 8 torque setting.

sounds good! i love it! im running the 93R tune, which i just switched to.. so its still getting it all trimmed out. it def crackles a lot still, but i think that will get better..

fyi, i paid $999 for my catback atak from southern car parts. they ship fast too. i got it within 2 days of borla shipping it out (they are/were on backorder)

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey no way, i was just going to make a thread about my installation :)

i put mine on today at my buddy's lexus dealership where hes a tech.. maybe took an hour, we debated for a while on getting it centered and at the correct length sticking out.

the hangers came out of the rubber holders without a problem. we unbolted the sway bar to get the stock muffler off the driver side.

with the borla's u have to break off the clamps from the stock exhaust.

we didnt use a torque wrench at all, just an air wrench at like 8 torque setting.

sounds good! i love it! im running the 93R tune, which i just switched to.. so its still getting it all trimmed out. it def crackles a lot still, but i think that will get better..

fyi, i paid $999 for my catback atak from southern car parts. they ship fast too. i got it within 2 days of borla shipping it out (they are/were on backorder)
would you describe the sound like a crotch rocket as well?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went for a drive and even though the exhaust sound isn't quite what I was expecting, it definitely makes the drive a lot more enjoyable. I can't wait to see what a tune will do to increase the driving experience. I am just not sure if I should get 1 91 octane tune or 2 variants of 91 and an 87....

·
Registered
86 Posts
go 93 for performance and race and 89/91 (whichever u prefer) for street. the extra $5 a tank really makes a huge difference. 87 octane tunes were way too weak for me. 93R is pretty fun :)
plus, u can throw on the race tune, play around, then put the performance back on and get the economy again. then use the 89/91 for road trips and such. u get much better fuel economy out of the higher octane fuels, so it evens out if not makes it cheaper to use the higher octane.
most cars (especially older) see no benefit from using higher octane fuel. our cars however are sooo advanced that we can actually put the high compression to good use.

and to answer the question about the street bike sound, i'd disagree.. my grumbles and then at high rpms it sounds like a formula 1 car. i love it. its actually a little quiet sometimes though.. at idle and on the highway just cruising it is silent.
i havent heard it outside the vehicle yet though, only from the drivers seat :)

definitely a unique exhaust sound, as well as perfect engineering as to not be loud all the time. i can still sneak if i want to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
93 octane is very rare here so I don't think that's the route for me. Maybe I will do 91 race and performance and 87 performance for road trips

B

·
0 Posts
I'm hoping my M-80s sound something like this once I get them on. I don't want them to be obnoxiously loud, but more muscular than the stock exhaust is now. Congrats on the Borlas. They may mellow out for you after awhile.

·
0 Posts
Videos never do exhaust set ups justice have you noticed a power incrase withe these axel back's?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ It does feel a little faster but it could just be because it sounds fast :winks

·
Registered
650 Posts
You shouldnt be able to notice any significant power increase from the AB's, and if you do its probably b/c you are just driving faster to hear the exhaust:laugh:

I have also had quite a few formula 1 comments, especially if i jump on it with other cars around, or under a bridge, etc. I dont have a CAI yet, but I have heard the car itself as well as the exhaust note, will get a little deeper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts