Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i lost 56hp with these cams and my car runs like ****. i got it dyno tuned ... befor cams it was 298 after 246 rwhp. i did the limiters to.. have any idea why i lost hp . thanks guys
.. my mods are LT headers mid pipe mac mufflers. bbk tb...it works fine....delete plates. jlt cai .ewp. mutha thumper cams

·
Registered
3 Posts
i changed out my stock cams with comp cams and didn't change the timing. The cams said it wasn't necessary but it was ten degrees BTDS. not sure if this is y but could help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car has i think 30* of timeing in it and still made crap power only gains i see is the price of labor to find the problems smh

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i think happen . but would timing realy have such a big affect like that... and when the timing issue is fixed .then will i see any gains
???:?::headscratch::headscratch::violin:fuming::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::head_shot::typo::needahand:

·
Registered
307 Posts
ouch ... Let us know if you get it straightend out and what the problem was, I was gonna order those , but I think I'll wait it out a bit.. :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they do sound mean. i mean when i started my car i had a huge smile on my face . it was like. i just got laid for the first time:gringreen .. by far the best sounding cams... :kooky::kooky:.. but my motor guy told me the driver side timing chain was off when he did a computer check . so we gota take the motor apart and see if that is the problem. i hope that will give me all my hp back and then some more to.but i will keep you guys informd.:bigthumbsup

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
From recent experience and a lot of data gathering it looks like the 3v’s should have their cam timing set up correctly when cams go in. I’ve still yet to hear of one person who degreed their cams and found them to be set up correctly. They all needed adjusting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The mutha thumpr cams have been nothing but trouble for me. If you have the option, please return them. That is the best option. My car spent 5 months in the shop trying to figure out why mine was down on power. 1) If you have the stock manifolds, you cannot gain any power, you actually lose some. I am stuck right now at 294 hp/ 295 torque. When I took it in with stock cams, it had 304/312. 2) If you plan on getting a supercharger, these are not the cams for a supercharger. 3) Apparently there is not a tuner in existance that can tune these correctly, including the guys at comp cams.

If I could redo everything, I would have returned these and gone with the Ford Racing cams. This was a huge waste of money and time just for the car to sound good at idle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow that stinks. i do have my old cams stil . but the comp cams are installed already so i dont thing i can get my money back. i instaled the delete plates and ewp.after i have it fixed im going to take it to mustang magic on L.i in deer park.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to sqidd. so what you are saying is that after my car is done being timed up right and every thing is where it should be. that i will see some gains :gringreen

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Are you being charged for them to take everything apart and put back together? If so, I'd consider getting some FRPP hot rods. If all you're looking for is the nice sound. And I've been told you'll get another 15-20HP on the stock motor, a lot more if you upgrade things.

Then you can try to sell the comps online or something (if they're okay), if you cant get your money back. However, if it is a defective product, they have to give you your money back (or another set of cams) You wouldn't know they were defective until they were installed so that shouldn't be an issue.

Just a thought, may be cheaper than going over the whole motor and taking it apart and so on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Comp thumper Cams

Before installing the Comp cams I had 305rwhp and 313t. Already had CAI, dyno tune, Ford shorty racing headers, hi flo cats, H-pipe, underpulleys, Steeda TB spacer, 373 gear, and stock mufflers.
Installed stage 1 Comp cams and Ford Racing throttlebody and had a new dyno tune. Result, 312rwhp and 318t. Not much increase for a lot of money spent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My car spent months at comp cams because they did not believe that it was installed right and/or tuned right, so it was sent there and literally was there for a couple months before they came to the conclusion that unless you have longtube headers, you lose hp, but your car still sounds cool at idle..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i have every bolt on and i got the LT and so on.. im going to be useing a different tuner to. the frpp cams .i have only seen a 12 hp gain from those. the comp mutha thumprs people have seen 30 + gain. i dont know what is the problem but i hope after the timeing issue is fixed i gain my power back. bc if not im going to take them out and put the stockers back in. but would a timing chain issue realy cause me to loose al that power :?::?:. thanks guys for your time always nice talking to people who try to help out

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah, timing can make a car run better or worse, also, I'm not as familiar with the 4.6 as I am the old fox body 5.0 but is it possible that if wasn't degreed right, it could've wiped a lobe off the cam? thus causing it not to make the power.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
idk anything about it wipeing a lobe off but the car still has the lopey idel .i also dont know how it can wipe a lobe off.because that cam is still moveing and still moveing the valves. thats the first time i have ever heard of that?.but i dont know what would cause me to lose 56hp:?::?:

·
Registered
825 Posts
My tuner told me that the 3v make the most power at 25 deg timing. Approx 4hp loss for each degree of timing pulled. I have seen my car pull as much as 10 deg of timing or about 40hp on hot humid day. I saw this while on the dyno prior to my intercooler install.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts