Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like Christmas in July (when I ordered it). I spent 2.5 hours Saturday installing the Hurst Billet Shifter on my 2008 GT. I ordered from AM at $209 plus 10% off with code.

The install was textbook according to the instructions. Getting the car high enough on the jack stands and working flat on my back, I had to lower the transmission support bracket about 1/2" to get the forward shifter mount bolt off/on. Other than that, I suppose sometime before 2009 and the existence of the billet version of this short throw shifter, there was a mix up in the instruction set with the direction on connecting of the lower part of the shifter to the shifter linkage , but this set of instructions have been corrected.

What a difference this shifter made in the driving experience! It's precise, notchy and much shorter throw. No rattles vibrations or noise. This is the shifter that should have come with the car.

·
Registered
10,662 Posts
cool, thanks for the report

does it really help with the shift to third -- meaning make it easy to get third real fast, with no missed shifts?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say easier than stock for sure. I was surprised when I removed the stock shifter how loose the center bearing / spring was.

·
Registered
550 Posts
cool, thanks for the report

does it really help with the shift to third -- meaning make it easy to get third real fast, with no missed shifts?
You can be hard on this shifter and not think to yourself "I'm going to snap this" as with the stock shifter lol As long as you know where 3rd is it's pretty hard to miss it with this shifter. You can bang through the gears and have a blast doing it. Once you get it and drive the car you'll wonder to yourself why did I wait! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also just put the Hurst on two weeks ago... I do get some vibration when I jump on it but nothing during normal acceleration. I love the feel of the short throws and the look is great. Have you noticed the stick getting quite HOT sometimes?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
its normal for the stick to get hot. my comp plus does too. does the billet hurst rattle like the old one under hard acceleration? i like my comp / plus but it rattles when i get on it and sounds like a pos! im thinking about switching to the billet, esp for the price am has it for:winks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I put the Billet/Plus in my car about a month ago...I like it except that it feels so notchy sometimes, and like it required more effort than the stocker. I put a longer handle on it that put the knob in a better position and made the shifts a little easier.

I thought the install was pretty much a breeze- the problem I have was that I somehow cross-threaded the front shifter arm bolt. Blah. At some point I'll have to get in there and fix it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I put the Billet/Plus in my car about a month ago...I like it except that it feels so notchy sometimes, and like it required more effort than the stocker. I put a longer handle on it that put the knob in a better position and made the shifts a little easier.

I thought the install was pretty much a breeze- the problem I have was that I somehow cross-threaded the front shifter arm bolt. Blah. At some point I'll have to get in there and fix it.

I had a lot of problems as well with the bolts not wanting to go on quite right and I had to be REALLY careful about cross-threading. The shifter is great and works like a charm. The parts however are cheaply made (I think in China) and the noise/vibration is simply the name of the game with Hurst. 95% of reviews I've read mention it to some degree. I like it.... it's not really that loud and as long as it's not causing any damage to the arm or my vehicle I'm cool. I'm obsessed with keeping my Stang "vintage-y" so Hurst was the right call for me. (At least for now)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have only noticed noise occuring at two times: It will make a little noise when you hit the resonance zone in first or second gear, and if you run it up to 5000 RPM or so it will also make a little noise. Nothing ridiculous and I have no problem with it.

I was pretty disappointed when I found out it was made in china though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts