Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent this holiday weekend and tropical storm Lee installing my Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe on my 2008 GT convertible. I bought the hot jet ceramic coated Kooks headers/ H pipe combo from Maryland Speed last month and was waiting for this long weekend to install them.

I started Saturday morning. I removed the battery and holder, plenum and fuel rail covers and strut tower brace (my engine bling) then I got the got car jacked up as high I could go with my jack stands; about 16 inches. Then I removed the stock H pipe. I had to quit early to BBQ for the LSU / Oregon game later in the evening. Total time 2.5 hours

Sunday I removed the stock headers and installed the Kooks headers. The quality and fit of these were perfect. I had no issues with fitment. Total time 8 hours

Monday (today) I installed the chatted H pipe and loaded my new tunes from Bama. The only issue I had today was the supplied bolts and nuts for the flange between the header and chatted leg pipes did not match; metric bolt and standard nut. I wound up going to Home Depot and bought new bolts and nuts ($ 1.92). I updated the firmware on my SCT tuner and loaded up my tunes. Total time – 3.5 hours

This entire job took me about 14 hours, but I took my time to do it right. I am certain if I had to do it again it would take half of the time, now that I know what socket , extension, swivel and ratcheting box wrench works best for each bolt and nut.

The performance gains of these headers are very noticeable above 4k RPM, and you cannot imagine the volume that blows forth when you get on the gas! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats awesome man! i got the full MAC with no cats and definitely see a difference! kooks have a good sound. enjoy!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congrats....Good job man...!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
. . .
Sunday I removed the stock headers and installed the Kooks headers. The quality and fit of these were perfect. I had no issues with fitment. Total time 8 hours
. . .

This entire job took me about 14 hours, but I took my time to do it right. I am certain if I had to do it again it would take half of the time, now that I know what socket , extension, swivel and ratcheting box wrench works best for each bolt and nut. . . .
Sounds great, thanks for posting

What did you need to move to get access to the old manifolds and install the new headers -- did you raise the engine? Move the steering shaft? Anything else?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed:

Tubular cross member that sits right beneath the bell housing
Motor mount brackets on both sides
Dipstick tube and steering shaft on drivers side
Starter on passenger

Jacked up the engine a full 4-5 inches

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Nice work. I love the feeling of putting in something myself. Enjoy your new power and sound.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Removed:

Starter on passenger

thanks, that gives me a good idea of what to expect if I tackle this someday

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Removed:

Starter on passenger

You didn't need to remove the steering shaft.:winks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Now I can't wait to get my bbk tuned length headers and steeda UPDs installed this weekend.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't actually remove the whole shaft, just disconnected at one end and pushed it up out of the way.

Also when talking a freind they mentioned that I should have absolutely installed stage 8 locking bolts.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I didn't actually remove the whole shaft, just disconnected at one end and pushed it up out of the way.
Didn't need to do that either.:winks

Also when talking a freind they mentioned that I should have absolutely installed stage 8 locking bolts.
That's odd, a friend of mine that puts headers on 3v's all day long at work told me to be sure to use Anti-Seize. I hope my bolts don't loosen up!:nogrinner

·
Registered
777 Posts

Yeah I agree. I had stage 8 on my 01 GT with LT headers. I'm waiting for a package of them to come in today so I can install them with my bbk headers on Sunday. Also its a good idea to buy the ford oem header gaskets (you need 4).

·
Registered
15 Posts
great job man, went down the same road 2 winters ago everyone said how hard it would be, honestly not too bad of a task if you take your time and pay attention to what your doing just advice for anyone debating a diy job instead of the $800-$1000 install ( quoted price around indy)

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
great job man, went down the same road 2 winters ago everyone said how hard it would be, honestly not too bad of a task if you take your time and pay attention to what your doing just advice for anyone debating a diy job instead of the $800-$1000 install ( quoted price around indy)
They suck, but it’s not the end of the world. There not hard, just time consuming. I would imagine almost anyone has the skills needed. It just comes down to tools, time and patience.

You know what does suck though? Wrapping them! It takes longer than putting them on and is a messy, crappy, hand aching job. Somehow I managed to trick [email protected] into wrapping mine for me (I was doing cam timing)!

Thanks [email protected]!:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maryland Speed had a good deal to Jet Hot coat the headers for an extra $139. I have noticed that the combination of the coating or the downstream location of the cats has lowered the under car temps just a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts