Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I put on my MMR (silver High Flow Tube) intake a little bit ago. It was very simple...Looks awsome I will post pics later... Anyway, I cut the tube of that is closed to the engine sliped the hose on that came with it and clamped those two hoses together. When I accelerate, I hear a little PSSS sound. Then When I shut off the car I hear one more PSS like its letting the air out.
Now is that just the air sucking through the filter or does it sound like I have an air leak? I have all the clamps as tight as possible? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got the MMR CAI too. I hear the same thing and I think its just the sound you hear because its not getting muffled by the old airbox. I think it sounds pretty cool! :) Funny thing is, I didn't even clamp the hose that you are refering to, it was pretty tight fit anyway. I may go get some clamps to do that though... just in case. Please post some pics.

Does yours "ride" ontop of your brake tubes coming out of the Anti-lock breaking "thingy"? Mine is, and I'm planing on getting a little piece of foam to put there.

I'll attach a picture of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
I also installed the MMR and did not notice any sound change - well, except for the exhaust roaring like a lion as a friend of mine described it. :hihi:

But I have a GT so I don't know if this is because any difference in the two models. It looks like there is an extra vacume line on the GT that I cannot see in the pic that Heatho posted - doesn't mean it's not there, I just can't see it.

FWIW...

How much did you notice a diff on yours? And did you get their kit to reflash the computer? :drink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
think a high flow MMR tube for a v6 steeda CAI is a good idea?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Goliath, Why wouldn't a CAI be a good idea? They allow it to BREATHE better. I've only heard good things about CAIs on all cars.

Jiobao,
I've noticed some difference, but its hard to tell how much. I did a baseline 0-60 before putting it on and I haven't had a chance to do a post installation run to see if there was any difference in the 0-60 time.
I did not flash the computer to retune it. I may in the future. The MMR guys said that it wasn't needed on the V6 like it is on the V8.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heatho said:
Goliath, Why wouldn't a CAI be a good idea? They allow it to BREATHE better. I've only heard good things about CAIs on all cars.

Jiobao,
I've noticed some difference, but its hard to tell how much. I did a baseline 0-60 before putting it on and I haven't had a chance to do a post installation run to see if there was any difference in the 0-60 time.
I did not flash the computer to retune it. I may in the future. The MMR guys said that it wasn't needed on the V6 like it is on the V8.
Ok well I took it for a test run. Similar to the recent exhaust i installed, I feel a little xtra pull in each gear. 2nd feels a tad bit more powerful. Im going down to Arizona dyno chip on Firday, they are doing a custom dyno tune for me. Last dyno I got 176 HP at the wheels and Im hoping for at least 190 or more.. Thats with the added tune, dual magnaflow, and intake. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Also I will take pics tomorrow and post them. Thanks for the responses:winks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Heatho said:
damn! that's lucky for you then - save a couple hundred bucks!! although you may get some additional
peformance gains with a flash - there is another guy on here with a V6 and he did the tune and dyno'd
somewhere around 202 RWHP. :yup:

That alone may be worth it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
militarystang said:
Ok I put on my MMR (silver High Flow Tube) intake a little bit ago. It was very simple...Looks awsome I will post pics later... Anyway, I cut the tube of that is closed to the engine sliped the hose on that came with it and clamped those two hoses together. When I accelerate, I hear a little PSSS sound. Then When I shut off the car I hear one more PSS like its letting the air out.
Now is that just the air sucking through the filter or does it sound like I have an air leak? I have all the clamps as tight as possible? Thanks in advance!
I've also noticed theis sound in my car (stock) I first noticed it when in a tunnel with no cars near. After I knew about it I could hear it if I really listened, but still not noticible when in normal conditions (not listening for it) The dealer (whatever he knowsm usually not much) said it is just a normal sound for the car. Didn;t know exactly the cause, but I suspect the previous post about it not being muffled by the stock air intake is the main cause. I'd be sure to have it looked at by someone who you trust though just to be sure.

You can always take off the CAI and go back to stock and see if you can hear the sound now that you know about it, and see if it is indeed related to the new intake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gabriel05 said:
I've also noticed theis sound in my car (stock) I first noticed it when in a tunnel with no cars near. After I knew about it I could hear it if I really listened, but still not noticible when in normal conditions (not listening for it) The dealer (whatever he knowsm usually not much) said it is just a normal sound for the car. Didn;t know exactly the cause, but I suspect the previous post about it not being muffled by the stock air intake is the main cause. I'd be sure to have it looked at by someone who you trust though just to be sure.

You can always take off the CAI and go back to stock and see if you can hear the sound now that you know about it, and see if it is indeed related to the new intake.
Well I had my wife step on the gas for me while listening to where the PSSS was coming from, it seems to be coming from the filter. I think its just making the noise from air being sucked through the filter. Ive come to the conlusion that you probably dont hear it as well on the stock intake because of the box. I am going to call MMR tomorrow and make sure, and then get the advise from my dyno guy. Ill let you guys know what they say.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
yep... that PSSS.. is just a normal sucking sound... it's a good thing...

No re-flash is required for MMR on the V6... although as mentioned to take full advantage of the CAI you should get a custom tune on a dyno...

With the 3 performance mods i've made (MMR, Tune and muffler) I've bumped my RWHP by about 25HP.... (i'm the 202 guy.. LOL) The MMI kit has got to be a good part if not the majority of that...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fishingjts said:
yep... that PSSS.. is just a normal sucking sound... it's a good thing...

No re-flash is required for MMR on the V6... although as mentioned to take full advantage of the CAI you should get a custom tune on a dyno...

With the 3 performance mods i've made (MMR, Tune and muffler) I've bumped my RWHP by about 25HP.... (i'm the 202 guy.. LOL) The MMI kit has got to be a good part if not the majority of that...
Yeah I remember you telling me, So far my check engine light hasnt come on.... like I said I can tefinatly tell a little difference. I thought it sounded pretty cool, Like a reverse turbo Blow off valve lol...j/k..Well mabey because I have dual magnaflow Ill be up there around the 200's to.... Ill let yall know...mabey if im higher than you fishjts, you might decide to go get some duals..who knows:eyepoppin Ill find out friday and post the dyno.. along with the roush spoiler and louvers pics cause im picking them up too!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
militarystang said:
Yeah I remember you telling me, So far my check engine light hasnt come on.... like I said I can tefinatly tell a little difference. I thought it sounded pretty cool, Like a reverse turbo Blow off valve lol...j/k..Well mabey because I have dual magnaflow Ill be up there around the 200's to.... Ill let yall know...mabey if im higher than you fishjts, you might decide to go get some duals..who knows:eyepoppin Ill find out friday and post the dyno.. along with the roush spoiler and louvers pics cause im picking them up too!
After your tune you should be up around the 200s also! WOOHOO!! It was an incredibly hot day last Saturday when i got my car dyno'd... last two mornings it's been cool (below 60) on the way into work... Car runs like a raped ape.... LOL!

I just installed my Magnaflow single cat-back last night... Sounds great and looks even better! It replaced the Flowpro muffler I put on way back in March... The flowpro with the cheapie chrome tip we put on was looking very ugly... The 100% polished stainless n the Magnaflow was a HUGE improvement... The funny thing is the Magnaflow is not much louder than the Flowpro but yet I hear a lot more of the PSSS sucking sound from my MMR now... maybe i'm flowing more air? Maybe I picked up an extra pony or two... LOL! Hopefully get my car custom tuned in a few weeks...

I thought about the duals... after reading and talking to a few people I decide duals just really wouldn't give me enough enough of a boost to warrant the money... Beside with duals someone might confuse my car with a GT... So I'll keep the single exhaust so everyone knows I have a V6!

Yeah, definitely post your results tomorrow!

·
Registered
191 Posts
definitely getting the steeda v6 cai, just am curious if the high flow MMR air tube is a good idea with it, or if it's just a superflous cost.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Goliath said:
definitely getting the steeda v6 cai, just am curious if the high flow MMR air tube is a good idea with it, or if it's just a superflous cost.
Not sure if the MMR Tube will work with the steeda cai... (willl they fit? will they align?)

MMR claims the Tube is good for up to 7RWHP... I'm not an engineer but if you look at the stock rubber intake and compare that to the solid MMR tube... well... it sure looks like the Tube should be better! LOL! It certainly LOOKS a lot better! LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts