Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Well, I just got done installing Doug's Tri-Y headers on my 64 1/2 Mustang with 260 V8. That's not an insignificant thing for me being that a couple months ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference between them and the heads. :) Anyhow, I've got a couple questions I could really use some expert insight on.

First off, there were a couple vacuum lines (not sure if this is the right term, but essentially they were just lines of airflow drawn from the stock manifolds to the carb) running from the carb to the headers which served to provide heated air to the carb (and I'm guessing assisted in operation of the electric choke). There are no such hook ups with the headers. I'm wondering what would be the best way to facilitate this with the headers. Perhaps tapping the headers; or maybe simply wrapping some tubing around one of them to heat a vacuum line by conduction?? Or is it not that important? It does seem that my choke is not adjusting properly now as the engine warms and the throttle is modulated. I would rather attempt to work something with the headers than downgrade to manual choke. What have you guys that have installed headers done to your rigs?

Also, my clutch Z-bar (aka clutch equalizer bar) interfered with the headers. My car does not have the hipo bar, however it appears that the equalizer bars on the earliest mustangs are proportioned similarly. I ordered the later produced non-hipo bar and am hoping that the bottom part of the bar where it flares out to connect to the lower clutch rod will wrap around the header (right now it won't even go in with the header there). The little metal braket coming out of the clutch is also just barely contacting the header and restricting motion, but I think I'll be able to file just a bit off the braket to fit it in.

My biggest error in the whole project was leaving the spark plugs out when I cleaned the carbon off the heads before putting the headers on. I think I got some residue in the spark plug holes because it was more difficult to get the spark plugs back in that I would have imagined (had to actually use a wrench vice just turning by fingertip). I don't know if I got that much carbon in, or it just gets that way with 45 year old cars (my experience is pretty much non-existent, so I'm learning as I go). Anyhow, I decided to pull all the plugs the next day and installed new ones so I could put some anti-seize on them.

Anyhow, any insight you guys may have on any of my issues is much appreciated!!! Thanks much!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts