Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Roush GT Leather take-off arrived yesterday and decided to install them myself today. Took me about 6 hour to finish the job and I must say for the price is a dam good deal if you do the work yourself. I used this video as a guide. How-To Install Leather Interior on a Ford Mustang - YouTube .
It covers almost everything except for the backseat folding headrest. You have to disassemble the whole thing to get the button in place when you install the leather over it. Besides that don’t try the job without the appropriate tools it will save you a lot of time and work in the long run. As for wrinkles just take them outside and let the sun heat them up a bit stretch and done.

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures I will post the rest tomorrow when the seats are installed in the car.

Attachments

·
Banned
847 Posts
Nice job! :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Holy sauteed frogs ! Did that come out great!

Just think: If you did that for a living, you'd have forearms like Popeye.

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
Very nice job!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
555 Posts
Those look great!

On a side note are they full leather or vinyl? I didn't sit in a mustang with the leather option at the dealer, so I don't know what their quality is like. It does look great on your install, so I might grab a set from Roush soon too.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those look great!

On a side note are they full leather or vinyl? I didn't sit in a mustang with the leather option at the dealer, so I don't know what their quality is like. It does look great on your install, so I might grab a set from Roush soon too.

The set can only be found in the ROUSH ebay store. Be careful since they have two sets selling ATM a 2011 for (2011-2013) set and a 2013 set for (2012-2013) only. I don't remember the detail in all the parts but I can tell you for sure the non perforated parts are vinyl. I have a cut piece in my hand and under the "leather" it has a fabric glued so you can tell its vinyl. I think the real leather is the perforated parts the rest is vinyl.

I will post the other pics soon I haven't been able to visit the garage where my car is yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy sauteed frogs ! Did that come out great!

Just think: If you did that for a living, you'd have forearms like Popeye.

LOL I think I will. All my non leather friends now want to do the same, I have a Camaro lined up waiting for the leathers to arrive to install them also. Al tho Camaros are a PITA since they don't use the extra convenient Velcro Hook Canals like our mustangs the retain the seats only by Hogclips:weeps

Attached is a picture of a Camaro seat for perspective of how easy ford made it. Our seats only use 12 hog clips only for the 2 top and bottom center lines. In the image attached every circle is a hogclip.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'll be attempting this same task in about a week. I still need to grab a hog clip tool for putting clips in, though. I also got the Roush take off seats from a 2012. What a great price!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nice job! I've been thinking of doing the same but I'm just too lazy since I retired. It seems the less I do ... the less I want to do. I think I'll go for another beer.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Since I'll be attempting this next week - I'm assuming you can just buy hog clip pliers and hog clips from any random automotive store, right?

Or do I have to find a specialty retailer / buy them online? I'll likely be just swinging by Autozone tonight after work, but was interested to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since I'll be attempting this next week - I'm assuming you can just buy hog clip pliers and hog clips from any random automotive store, right?

Or do I have to find a specialty retailer / buy them online? I'll likely be just swinging by Autozone tonight after work, but was interested to see if anyone knew off the top of their head.
I couldn't find them anywhere except online (I live in LA) so I ended up using thick Zip ties.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
On a side note are they full leather or vinyl?
Neither really. I'm guessing no more than 5 hides were needed to do a full year production. The covers are to leather about what MDF is to solid wood. Yes there is some material in them that came from a cow but its pretty sparse and the largest pieces are nearly microscopic. I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'll be attempting this same task in about a week. I still need to grab a hog clip tool for putting clips in, though. I also got the Roush take off seats from a 2012. What a great price!
you really don't need hog clips to reinstall; just use extra heavy duty cable ties and snip 'em off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought Hog clip pliers from ebay with Hog clips. The one I got has a spring to hold down the clip once its in the pliers. The hog clips I got in the kit are substantially stronger than the ones from the seat and are hard to cut if you do a mistake good thing the retaining hog clips bar is pretty strong if you hold it down.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Are the Roush skins more supple? :shigrin Screwy word, I know. What was your motivation for buying this particular type?
They're not Roush - they're Ford OE seat skins (OE takeoff) that Roush removed so they could install their custom covers. So it's a great deal..highly recommended - just that it's a low part price and maximum elbow grease situation. Just have to commit 6-8 hours in your garage on a Saturday.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The Roush people seemd to take care not to damage the seats at all when they take them off. I've heard the Shelby people aren't quite as considerate and they wouldn't even include the headrest covers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts