Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had some time this morning to install my American Muscle Shift-tech Shifter.

First Off, I read online where the shifter came with a hard reverse lockout spring and that you were better off installing the second softer spring supplied with the spacers. I did so, but then I started noticing, Why Spacers? Why couldn't they just find a correct length softer spring? Even with the spacer installed the shifter had too much up and down slop. So I read where someone else put a small nut in in place of the spacers and with one spacer it seemed to firm that up.

Also, if you install the rod plug firmly, the shifter gets grinding in it's up/down movement for the reverse lock out. The solution to this was putting some locktite on the plug and installing it less firmly.

So all went well with the install. Took old shifter out installed this shifter. Before I was going to button it up, I decided to check it's movement, it seemed to engage all the gears well. The biggest problem I had was there was way too much sloppy movement at the shifter handle. Prolly about 1/4 inch in all direction movement, when the shifter was in gear.

This slop is caused by the design of the shifter. The upper part has too much play over the lower shaft. There is a bushing in the middle of the shifter, but it does not do a good job of taking the play out.

I knew this slop would drive me nuts, so I uninstalled it and put the factory shifter back in, the factory shifter has none of this kind of play and is much firmer when it is in place.

I purchased this shifter from a friend, who only drove it 50 miles, he did not like the throw of it. So I cannot return it, since I didn't buy it new, I don't think I would even sell it to anyone since it has a such a cheap poor design.

I had such high hope, but oh well...

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry to hear :( Since you don't want to sell it, I'll pay you shipping to GIVE it to me... you know, for testing and scientific purposes lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear :( Since you don't want to sell it, I'll pay you shipping to GIVE it to me... you know, for testing and scientific purposes lol
Sure if you want it PM me....

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Well, I had some time this morning to install my American Muscle Shift-tech Shifter.

First Off, I read online where the shifter came with a hard reverse lockout spring and that you were better off installing the second softer spring supplied with the spacers. I did so, but then I started noticing, Why Spacers? Why couldn't they just find a correct length softer spring? Even with the spacer installed the shifter had too much up and down slop. So I read where someone else put a small nut in in place of the spacers and with one spacer it seemed to firm that up.

Also, if you install the rod plug firmly, the shifter gets grinding in it's up/down movement for the reverse lock out. The solution to this was putting some locktite on the plug and installing it less firmly.

So all went well with the install. Took old shifter out installed this shifter. Before I was going to button it up, I decided to check it's movement, it seemed to engage all the gears well. The biggest problem I had was there was way too much sloppy movement at the shifter handle. Prolly about 1/4 inch in all direction movement, when the shifter was in gear.

This slop is caused by the design of the shifter. The upper part has too much play over the lower shaft. There is a bushing in the middle of the shifter, but it does not do a good job of taking the play out.

I knew this slop would drive me nuts, so I uninstalled it and put the factory shifter back in, the factory shifter has none of this kind of play and is much firmer when it is in place.

I purchased this shifter from a friend, who only drove it 50 miles, he did not like the throw of it. So I cannot return it, since I didn't buy it new, I don't think I would even sell it to anyone since it has a such a cheap poor design.

I had such high hope, but oh well...

Murphjup,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue your having. This is pretty odd, we haven't had any complaints about this shifter at all. Here's a link to your other thread that had really good feed back on the shifter! http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...uscle-sr-performance-short-throw-shifter.html

We installed this shifter on our 13' GT project car and there was a tiny bit of slop. However when you throw in the shifter bracket in, it completely gets rid of any slop! We've taken our car to the track countless times and are really happy with the results of the shifter and bracket.

Even though you bought this shifter from a buddy, It sounds like we may have a bad apple here. We'll always bend over backwards to make sure you guys are satisfied with our product. Have your buddy give us a call or email me and we'll set him up with a return on that shifter and send you out a brand new one. I would also highly recommend getting the bracket, I'm confident you'll then be good to go!

I hope this helps, Let me know if you have any questions!

dan[dot]bailer[at]americanmuscle[dot]com

- Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murphjup,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue your having. This is pretty odd, we haven't had any complaints about this shifter at all. Here's a link to your other thread that had really good feed back on the shifter! http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...uscle-sr-performance-short-throw-shifter.html

We installed this shifter on our 13' GT project car and there was a tiny bit of slop. However when you throw in the shifter bracket in, it completely gets rid of any slop! We've taken our car to the track countless times and are really happy with the results of the shifter and bracket.

Even though you bought this shifter from a buddy, It sounds like we may have a bad apple here. I want to do my best to make sure your satisfied with our product. Have your buddy give us a call or email me and we'll set him up with a return on that shifter and send you out a brand new one. I would also highly recommend getting the bracket, I'm confident you'll then be good to go!

- Dan
Thanks Dan sent you an Email... Your response says alot about American Muscle!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here is what I said, word for word in the other thread we both posted in...

I have the SR shifter. I must have got a crap one. It was so incredible hard to push the shifter down to get it in reverse. So I put in the softer spring and the shifter rattled horribly.

I had to go to Home Depot and get a handyman spring assortment kit. Out of the 200 springs in there, I found one that was long enough and stiff enough to where it felt good and didn't rattle.

There is also a lot of slop in the shifter were the metal handle fits to the base. It seems like the tolerance between the base, the handle, and the plastic sleeve is too large. When in gear, you can move the shifter a good 1/4 inch in any direction.

I wouldn't purchase another one. I went cheap and got cheap.

Nick
I agree with 100% of what you said. I also had the same problem with the pin that holds the handle together... too tight, and it "grinds" the pin onto the outside handle... so I had to loctite it also. Overall just 100% unhappy with the shifter...

PS~ I have the Steeda Shifter bushing and it helped 0% with the "slop" we are talking about. It is just the crappy design of the shifter...

And what sucks is the stock shifter is assembled the exact same way... outside handle... bushing... inside handle... and there is 0 slop...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what I said, word for word in the other thread we both posted in...

I agree with 100% of what you said. I also had the same problem with the pin that holds the handle together... too tight, and it "grinds" the pin onto the outside handle... so I had to loctite it also. Overall just 100% unhappy with the shifter...

PS~ I have the Steeda Shifter bushing and it helped 0% with the "slop" we are talking about. It is just the crappy design of the shifter...

And what sucks is the stock shifter is assembled the exact same way... outside handle... bushing... inside handle... and there is 0 slop...
What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
348 Posts
What did you end up doing?

I left it in for now, until I decide which shifter to replace it with. I REALLY loved the Hurst in my 07GT, but I REALLY hate how the one for the 2011+ doesn't have a reverse lock out. Really bothers me. I've put it in reverse with the stock shifter and didn't know... I couldn't imagine with the reverse lock out eliminated.

I've tried the MGW, and I don't see the why everyone loves it so much. It feels good, but, in my OPINION, not any better then a Barton, or Steeda, or my SR shifter (minus the slop)... I can't see going through the trouble of the installation and cost for what it gives you in the end... Still a crappy remote shifter that's super vague.

So the answer to your question is... I dunno yet lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I left it in for now, until I decide which shifter to replace it with. I REALLY loved the Hurst in my 07GT, but I REALLY hate how the one for the 2011+ doesn't have a reverse lock out. Really bothers me. I've put it in reverse with the stock shifter and didn't know... I couldn't imagine with the reverse lock out eliminated.

I've tried the MGW, and I don't see the why everyone loves it so much. It feels good, but, in my OPINION, not any better then a Barton, or Steeda, or my SR shifter (minus the slop)... I can't see going through the trouble of the installation and cost for what it gives you in the end... Still a crappy remote shifter that's super vague.

So the answer to your question is... I dunno yet lol

You know is very difficult to decide without seeing and feeling these shifters, plus we all have our personal preferences.

I like the Hurst as well, from a Muscle Car perspective. Doesn't the Hurst just have a firm lockout spring to keep you out of reverse? I can remember having to Slam my Hurst competition shifter over to engage reverse in an old Muscle Car I had.

And Obviously, the tighter the Shifter usually there is more NVH associated with it.

I'm working with AM right now, but in the end I don't know what will resolve this with me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Murphjup, after reading your post, I got into my car and tried to find some slop in my shifter. I couldn't find any at all. I have the AM shifter and the Barton two piece bracket. I had both of them installed at the same time so, I don't know what the shifter would feel like without the bracket. I also am using the original spring for reverse. It gets easier to use after it is broken in and you get used to it. I am very pleased with my set up. Sorry you are having a problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Murphjup, after reading your post, I got into my car and tried to find some slop in my shifter. I couldn't find any at all. I have the AM shifter and the Barton two piece bracket. I had both of them installed at the same time so, I don't know what the shifter would feel like without the bracket. I also am using the original spring for reverse. It gets easier to use after it is broken in and you get used to it. I am very pleased with my set up. Sorry you are having a problem.
Fountain, thank you for your reply... the Slop is definitely in this shifter, it's between the top half and the bottom half of the shaft assembly is the simplest way to describe it.

Stang8URMPRT's description is the same as mine regarding this issue.

Since it is on the shifter assembly, the bracket doesn't come into play....

I do appreciate your reply, maybe I just got a hold of a bad one...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Murphjup,

Even though you bought this shifter from a buddy, It sounds like we may have a bad apple here. We'll always bend over backwards to make sure you guys are satisfied with our product. Have your buddy give us a call or email me and we'll set him up with a return on that shifter and send you out a brand new one. I would also highly recommend getting the bracket, I'm confident you'll then be good to go!

- Dan
Now this is Customer Service! Nice job Dan and American Muscle.

Rob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Murphjup,

- Dan
THIS is why I will look your way when I decide to mod my Mustang. Gotta love excellent customer support!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I had the same shifter and had the same slop.I sent mine directly back to Shifteck and when I tried to undo the alan screw to put in the other spring it wouldn't budge and just stripped out. Shifteck sent me another shifter and it had the same slop and looked like the alan screw was already stripped when I received it. Wouldn't recommend this shifter to anybody. Took it out and threw it in the garbage after a little while. Lesson learned I guess. Using the stock shifter and JHR bracket for now and still shifts like crap most of the time.Alot of you know what I mean. Oh well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love the Barton had the hurst hated it... Good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Love the Barton had the hurst hated it... Good luck!
Why didn't you like the Hurst?? Also, does it have a tensioned reverse gate spring??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts