Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having 373 gears installed and im wondering if there will be any problems besides the speedo being off the car does not have traction control. I just dont want to pick the car up and have a problem im not expecting . It a 99 gt 5 speed.Im thinking about ordering the Diablo sport programmer is this the best one for the money.Thanks Jason

O

·
0 Posts
Your speedo will be out. Make sure you run the gears in properly too. That way you have less chance of getting gear whine.

If you do hear a whine, take them back and get it fixed.

Your gunna love them ! :yup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do not get the programmer! I got it and resold it, it was good for and extra 25rwhp I had it dyno proven. My brother got an extra 35rwhp with it because of his other mods also dyno proven. But I sold it to get the delta chip, gives the car a better tune. the chip cost about 275.00 and to have it tuned was about 200.00 plus 150.00 for dyno time. Go with the chip. go to www.diablosport.com to find a dealer close to you that can tune the chip.The programmer is limited to as the chip is not, if you ever plan on doing a supercharger you will have to sell the programmer and buy a chip because the programmer can't lean or richen the fuel like the chip can. As of getting 3.73 gears you might want to look into getting better rear lower control arms, maybe lift bars?

·
Banned
918 Posts
Personally I wouldn't put a 3.73 gear in the car. I would go with a 4.10 gear.

Do not get the diable for a few reasons.
One, it won't fix the speedometer issue. You will need a speedcal for that

Second, Predators normally use too much timing and are too lean. And that's not all of them but a large majority of the time. When you add fuel to correct the situation things like load and timing were way off. This means that they are adding fuel in the base fuel tables. Another clue to this is adding fuel based on RPM ranges. The results to this is a tune that doesn't take CORRECT load and timing into consideration. This results in a dangerous non-adaptive tune

How about the timing tables? The Predator adds global timing, SCT create a complete new table. Why add 3 degrees everywhere when you only need it at say, 5,000 rpm?

Other issues
1. Globally adjusted timing tables.(as previously stated.
2. Glitchy software that sometimes locks up your computer.
3. ZERO technical support.
4. 75% of the adjustments simply do not work.
5. No fine tuning of spark and air fuel.

I would go with a SCT Xcalibrator/Xcal 2. Much better tune than Diablo, you can always modify your own tuners later on after you get more mods, etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
blackfang said:
Personally I wouldn't put a 3.73 gear in the car. I would go with a 4.10 gear.

Do not get the diable for a few reasons.
One, it won't fix the speedometer issue. You will need a speedcal for that

Second, Predators normally use too much timing and are too lean. And that's not all of them but a large majority of the time. When you add fuel to correct the situation things like load and timing were way off. This means that they are adding fuel in the base fuel tables. Another clue to this is adding fuel based on RPM ranges. The results to this is a tune that doesn't take CORRECT load and timing into consideration. This results in a dangerous non-adaptive tune

How about the timing tables? The Predator adds global timing, SCT create a complete new table. Why add 3 degrees everywhere when you only need it at say, 5,000 rpm?

Other issues
1. Globally adjusted timing tables.(as previously stated.
2. Glitchy software that sometimes locks up your computer.
3. ZERO technical support.
4. 75% of the adjustments simply do not work.
5. No fine tuning of spark and air fuel.

I would go with a SCT Xcalibrator/Xcal 2. Much better tune than Diablo, you can always modify your own tuners later on after you get more mods, etc.

Well I have to correct you on this one. You CAN change your speedo to the right calibrations with the Predator. And if you have a dealer that burns the chips then they can actually make custom programs for you and download them into the predator then load them into the car. There is a place here that does that. I had the predator and it all worked out fine and what not. But I found a different place that actually know a$$ piles about Mustangs and just Fords in general. Plus the all own drive and race them too so thats a plus. ANd they use the SCT stuff so I had to swap over for them to be able to do stuff with my car.

·
Banned
918 Posts
87_5point0 said:
Well I have to correct you on this one. You CAN change your speedo to the right calibrations with the Predator. And if you have a dealer that burns the chips then they can actually make custom programs for you and download them into the predator then load them into the car. There is a place here that does that. I had the predator and it all worked out fine and what not. But I found a different place that actually know a$$ piles about Mustangs and just Fords in general. Plus the all own drive and race them too so thats a plus. ANd they use the SCT stuff so I had to swap over for them to be able to do stuff with my car.
I was unaware that a tuner can recal a 5 speed speedo through the OSS and VSS and the ECU.

I have heard nothing but complaints from tuners about the diablos'. Ed clark, Modular Depot, MPH, Steen, hell even our local dyno shop went SCT because it is that much better. They get tired of the lack of customer service and the tunes the predator has, for the most part, not all are not up to par unlike SCT's. I have had friends that have used the Predators and had nothing but issues, horrible tuning, etc. They went with SCT and saw 15 rwhp over the Predator. That influenced my decision.

As for the chips for the Diablo, you have to pay for extra tunes to unfvck the jacked up tuning and preset tunes of the predator? On top of that pay for the predator. Where the Xcalibrator/Xcal 2 comes with the tunes right for your car and you get the tuner with it. Doesn't look like the Predator is a good deal to me.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I have a Diablo and i love it. The guys at Dyno Tuned Perf. in Chesapeake got it dialed in with just 3 runs. Perfect A/F ratio, and yes it can correct the speedo. I have heard nothing but good stuff about MD and MPH. I do not count the guys at Steen as worth anything. My one experience with them was crappy and they worked almost 10 grand out a friend of mine when they built his motor and the results were anything but cost effective. Before I purchased a tuner I posted here asking for advice on which was better. I didn't get a single negative feedback about the Predator either and nothing was even brought up about the SCT products. Just my $.02

·
Banned
918 Posts
I did a search on MD and thats where I found alot of negativity on the predator by some of the tuners including Ed Clark.

I have heard a few bad things about Steen and alot of good things. Then again it is the automotive industry, where you will hear both. All depends on how bad it is, and how the customer was taken care of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.